xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem  (Read 242 times)

irenicus87

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« on: September 03, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »

There's no truly permanent solution short of reflowing/reballing the unit. However, if you don't feel like shipping your console off to someone to have the work done, you could attempt a reflow yourself. A good tutorial to follow is this one here http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=651407 or this one http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=716126

After reflowing the board, don't install a basic x-clamp fix, make sure you install the Hybrid X-clamp fix as seen here http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=669605

chris318

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »

I heat gun the xbox and now i put ceramique paste and removed xclamp on the gpu and replace it with screws and it seem to work got green lights and power up good.
Now i have another question i put the case back together and when i power it on It gave me RROD the 0003 Something with the power, and i took the case off again and it turn on green again, Every time i put it back together it does the same thing.

Any advice to help please

irenicus87

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »

003 error is a problem with the power (commonly a cold solder joint under the CPU), most likely if it's occurring when you put the case back on it's because the case is pushing against something and causing one of the solder joints to break again. Double check that you aren't flexing the board when you reassemble the case (could be caused by using too many or too large of washers when doing the x-clamp fix). Also check and make sure you aren't shorting the board out on the metal case when you put it back in.

chris318

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »

Umm i think that is the problem the flexing because when i put the case i have to put some pressure.
Do you think i should sand down the screws or the medal casing

irenicus87

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »

What x-clamp fix did you do? If possible, take pictures and upload them so we can see how you actually did your x-clamps.

chris318

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »

I did the regular xclamp were you can get the supplies at Local hardware store.

irenicus87

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »

Ok, so you just have 8 screws, each with a nylon washer and metal washer on the bottom, and then a nylon washer and a metal washer between the heatsink and board?

chris318

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »

I have 4 i have it only on the Gpu sence is the one with the problem.
Yes on the screws i put the metal washer and then the nylon and on the other side on the board where the heatsink will lay i put the nylon and then the metal washer. But yes that how i have it on the Gpu only.

Do you a website where i can upload some pictures so i can post it, so you can see

irenicus87

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »

If you've done the x-clamp mod to ONLY the GPU, then I strongly recommend taking the heatsinks/thermal paste off and reflowing both the GPU and more importantly the CPU. It sounds like when you heatgunned the GPU you softened the solder on the CPU and weakened the joints. You should reflow the entire board and then do the X-clamp mod on both cores.

chris318

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »

Yes i only did the Gpu sence the Problem was with the Gpu not the Cpu,
And when i heatgun, i Heatgun the whole mother board and then focus on the GPU but i heatgun the whole motherboard first, But if thats the case i guess ill do that.
But i think is that the board is flexing when i put the xbox back together with the case.

irenicus87

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »

The only reason why the board would be flexing that much is if you heatgunned it unevenly (which is sounds like you did since you only focused on the GPU), or if you used the wrong type of screws. I'd recommend oven baking the board so as to remove the warping of the board and to get it back to as flat as possible, followed by using Wilhelm's heatgunning guide and heatgun both your CPU and GPU again.

I also strongly recommend using some flux since you've heatgunned the console previously.

chris318

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »

Orale sounds cool,
Well now everything seems to work and im going to play the xbox without the case gets better cooling,
Now i want to add another fan

chris318

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »

Can you help me with the fan

irenicus87

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »

Well first thing we need to know is what version your motherboard is, at that point I can direct you to a good tutorial for installing a new fan or modifying your current fan to run at 12v

chris318

• Archived User
Rrod Xbox Gpu Problem
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »

Im runnin with a falcon and xenon but i want to do it first with the falcon