xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can't Use Hdmi And Component Cable (for Audio) At The Same Time, C  (Read 83 times)

rhaos

• Archived User

As the topic states, I got a pretty weird problem.

I got a new 23' LCD today and when I connect the xbox with HDMI->DVI the picture looks great and all,
but when I try to connect the default component cable (or not really since the machine is a arcade version, but ms original at least) at the same time the xbox won't boot up, it just cycles in some kinda boot mode, black screen, no sound and wont communicate with controller. When I boot it up with only the original Component cable the sound and picture works.

I have done this before, on the same xbox when I had a setup with a projector and 2 rca/analog cables to my reciever. And it worked like a charm, only difference I can come up with was that this was a few years ago and since then I updated the xbox and I think I was using the standard composite (only yellow, red and white) cable.

But just to try this out I decided to desolder all the cables, and just to go with the necessary cables for analog audio. But the problem is still the same.

As we speak (or well, as I write) I've desolder all cables from the component connector and then it boots just fine, but I kind of want audio.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Anyone else seen this problem? The xbox is currently using the latest dash and both ports are working fine, when not connected together.

Please give me a shout if you know any solution on this, or else I have to go oldschool and get/build a vga cable.

I get a feeling that good ol' MS have made some kinda of patch to the "5 second and free" solution of just removing the plastic and therefor forcing poor bastards like myself to buy their 50usd audio dongle thingy....  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

and ofc, I'm sorry if this been up before, been searching for hours now for a fix to this (i really want to finish alan wake) but without luck. so if there already is a solution, feel free to call me a idiot and link me to the right forum, I will be pleased anyhow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

edit, foolish mistakes.

This post has been edited by rhaos: Aug 27 2010, 12:00 AM

jeremyshaw

• Archived User
Can't Use Hdmi And Component Cable (for Audio) At The Same Time, C
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(rhaos @ Aug 26 2010, 03:58 PM) View Post

As the topic states, I got a pretty weird problem.
I get a feeling that good ol' MS have made some kinda of patch to the "5 second and free" solution of just removing the plastic and therefor forcing poor bastards like myself to buy their 50usd audio dongle thingy....  grr.gif

and ofc, I'm sorry if this been up before, been searching for hours now for a fix to this (i really want to finish alan wake) but without luck. so if there already is a solution, feel free to call me a idiot and link me to the right forum, I will be pleased anyhow wink.gif

edit, foolish mistakes.

I used a cheap generic xbox 360 vga cable, that had a slim connector. I have the HDMI going to my TV, and the RCA audio going to my amplifier. Both outputs are driven at the same time (Mom has some strange ideas of how should the xbox 360 tie into our entertainment system - I don't argue, I just nod my head....).

On my console settings-->display settings, it now says

HDMI + A

Instead of plain
HDMI

MS sells the slim RCA audio cable as part of their HDMI connectivity kit, so I doubt they would of banned this, lol....

Maybe it's trying to output over the TOSLINK? <-- that's just speculation on my part.