xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Video Issue Led To Rrod?  (Read 78 times)

johnnyrichter

• Archived User
Video Issue Led To Rrod?
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »

So I'm still kinda new to the whole 360 scene, bought this premium model + 20gb hdd + controller + some games for only $35 a few months back due to the guy thinking it had the RROD.  Turns out it was only two red lights, I opened it up and found a ton of dust to clean out.  After the cleaning, it has worked great(especially with the 12v mod to the fan).

Anyways, I've played on this console quite a bit, mostly Halo3.  Earlier while playing Team Slayer on Highgrounds, the console freezes and the screen shows a bunch of vertical lines...like a "this channel is experiencing difficulties" screen, but with smaller/more lines.  I shut down the console, waited a few seconds, turned it back on and it doesn't seem to be sending a signal to my TV at all, but the three red lights are flashing on the ring.

I took the console apart, inspected everything, removed the X-clamps and heatsinks, cleaned off all the crap oem thermal compound and replaced with arctic silver 5, re-installed everything after bending-out the X-clamps a little so they offer less play in those heatsinks, and tried it again.  Still nothing on the TV screen, still getting the RROD.  Power supply light does turn green when console is turned on, all connections are securely plugged in.

Am I looking at a typical RROD situation here, or did something actually die on this console?  If the former, will the Team Xecutor RROD Pro Kit II work for me?  If I do that I will probably go through llama to also get the clear case, clear fan duct, blue LED dual fan for the cpu/gpu, and the clear/blue LED rear fan.  Would be pretty cool when done.

If it matters, this console has the heatpipe-version GPU heatsink, and the date of manufacture is 2006-09-21.

EDIT : I've read in numerous places that any RROD fix is finished with overheating the console.  With the case removed, and fan shroud removed, I left the console on until the ring went from 3 flashing lights to 2 flashing lights, meaning it is overheated.  I then let it cool down for 30-45 minutes, replaced the shroud, put it all back together and turned it on, works now.

I'm guessing that my "fix" will probably only last a little while before it RRODs again.  Should I just go ahead and get that T.E. RROD Pro Kit II?

johnnyrichter

• Archived User
Video Issue Led To Rrod?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »

After about 5 minutes of being on, there was a beep and the screen went green.  Rebooted the console and got the RROD again.

Anyone?

johnnyrichter

• Archived User
Video Issue Led To Rrod?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(JuliVerHJ @ Aug 9 2010, 03:28 AM) View Post

Well as it seems it did rrod now,not when you bought it.I will recommend you to reball the gpu instead of some unusefull kit.It also seems that your gpu is a bit of broken.

BTW nice to see that Zypher/Xenon survived almost four years

Any links on how to do the reball of the GPU?  Sounds like something that might be a bit over my head, but it's worth a look.

johnnyrichter

• Archived User
Video Issue Led To Rrod?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(JuliVerHJ @ Aug 9 2010, 01:19 PM) View Post

Reballing is to remove the gpu,clean it from burns and re solder it back.
search it on youtube,the cost of it is more then console itself and its kinda hard.

Yeah, that's beyond my abilities.  I'll just order the T.E. RROD Pro Kit II and hope it works.

johnnyrichter

• Archived User
Video Issue Led To Rrod?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »

Are there any reputable places to send this console in for reball?  What kind of cost am I looking at for such a service?