xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Plays Sound Through Standard Cable But No Picture  (Read 126 times)

BruinsFan

• Archived User
Xbox Plays Sound Through Standard Cable But No Picture
« on: July 29, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »

1. Make sure the physical switch on the AV connector is set to HD
2. HDMI negotiates the resolution with your TV. If your component resolution is set higher than what your tv can display, connect the yellow composite cable, lower your hd settings, then switch back to HD / component.

timofiend

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »

Im not sure whether we are on the same page here, if I use the HDMI cable, everything works fine, but using the other cable (im not sure what its called but it connects from the standard av port (not the hdmi port) on the xbox and has white, red, green, blue and red connectors to the tv) I get sound but no picture. There is no switch on this cable, is that what you are talking about when you say check the switch on the av connector? Theres no yellow connector. Any ideas?

BruinsFan

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »

If you're using a cable like this, take a look:

http://img381.images...eswitch5ia.jpg/

And there is no yellow cable coming out of it?

timofiend

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 06:46:00 AM »

The cable im using is this: http://www.gamestati...P...n wii cable

Its a multi-use component cable, but I dont think the cable is the problem as I have tested it on 2 other xbox's and had no problems. I will try borrow an official xbox cable from someone and test the xbox using that cable but Im pretty sure there must be something wrong with the port on the xbox as the cable seems to work fine on other xbox's.

BruinsFan

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(timofiend @ Jul 30 2010, 08:46 AM) View Post

Its a multi-use component cable, but I dont think the cable is the problem as I have tested it on 2 other xbox's and had no problems. I will try borrow an official xbox cable from someone and test the xbox using that cable but Im pretty sure there must be something wrong with the port on the xbox as the cable seems to work fine on other xbox's.

Sorry, I was assuming that you were using the official cable.

In that case, it's probably that your HD settings are set too high on your 360 (at least higher than what your TV can support). Do you have another non-HD cable that you can use to change the HD settings? (I don't believe the HDMI cable will let you change it, but it's worth a shot).

timofiend

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »

Ok ill give that a try, spoke to a guy in gamestation today he reckons i should do that aswell, just gotta get my controller from my mates house before i can try it but ill get back to you after tryin that. Cheers mate

timofiend

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »

so it took me a few days to actually go and get the controller and give this a go. Still no joy, my display output settings say "1080i, widescreen, hdmi+a" i tried various other settings (720, 480 etc) still wouldnt display, but it says HDMI+A, does that mean its only outputting to the hdmi slot? i dont see any option to change the output from hdmi to component? the guy i was chatting to in gamestation told me i should plug both hdmi and component cables in at once then i should be able to switch from one to the other, but when i plug the component cable in aswell the xbox restarts then its as if its not there. Any ideas here im lost?