xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Video Freezes But No Rrod  (Read 107 times)

digipimp75

• Archived User
Xbox Video Freezes But No Rrod
« on: June 25, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »

Hello,

So my 360 is freezing shortly after powering up, (about 5 minutes) but there are no RROD.   A little background...

I've done the xclamp fix about 9 months ago.. removed the heatsinks, polished the chips and applied a thin coat of artic silver 5.  Three months later, same thing.  Since then, I've received RROD 2 more times.  The same procedure of removing the heatsinks and recoating gets the system up and running, but not for long.   Tried the penny trick as well, but that was worthless

The symptoms have been getting progressively worse.   The lower left quadrant lights up when the controller is synced, sometimes the power/eject buttons don't work, and the system is freezing up.  There are no checker patterns or vertical lines... just a straight video freeze.

The mobo traces have been thoroughly checked and there are no scratches or signs of fingerprints, dust, dirt, thermal paste, etc.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the GPU is to blame, so I've tried overheating it with the fan resting on the CPU heatsink.   This did not work.  

Is it time to consider a reflow?   Are there any other suggestions?

digipimp75

• Archived User
Xbox Video Freezes But No Rrod
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »

Just finished a heat gun reflow.  I think it worked!   The top left quadrant is now lit rather than the bottom left, and I let it run at the dashboard for 15-20 minutes.  No freezing, whereas before it would freeze after 5 minutes.   Whatever bad connections were going on, they seem to be corrected.    We'll see...