xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can't See Dash, But Can See Splash Screen After Diy Vga Cable.  (Read 103 times)

Mistawes

• Archived User

Just to update, been working on this since 9 this morning (now 6:30pm) and nothing's changed..

I've changed the cable so now it's exactly as in the Engadget tute, going from Xbox plug into VGA cable wired exactly as described.

At this stage I'd nearly (can never be too sure) rule out wiring (unless there's a short somewhere, although I've tested continuity for every cable) and am running out of options.

The only glimmer of hope is it's now showing the dash, but if I go into another menu or even press up, the screen goes blank. I've tested with another monitor and it shows NOTHING, at all!

All this time the ROL has reacted as expected, if it was working 100%.

Sorry for the double post but I can't edit the original, really appreciate any help, no matter how small/obvious!

LiTHiUM0XiD3

• Archived User
Can't See Dash, But Can See Splash Screen After Diy Vga Cable.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »

i think i can save your situation right now.. one... the 360s with hdmi.. dont give the 4 red lights anymore..
second... how about booting it up with a regular TV... then switching it to something like standard definition then try...

my 27 inch does 1080P easy...
but my 42 which is newer and better quality doesnt.. only 1080i

when i switch from my 27 inch to my 42 inch... it will boot.. u can hear everything thro the digital sound... but the screen will remain blank...
try just switchin it to SD or maybe 720ish...

this helped me.. so give it a try...
480p would look perfectly fine i think....
i rly doubt it has anything with the wiring... try using a multimeter to check the pinout of the VGA... see if any pins r connected or not... and match it all up smile.gif

dcrvx2k

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »

That cable may be your problem because it looks like a straight trough cable for RGB.  If you do not have H/V then the picture may not work.  Without more details on the cable it is hard to answer.  You should ground pin 20 to force the VGA output.  Do not ground both pins 20 and 24 or you may confuse the console.  The monitor got the "not optimum resolution" so you should reset the XBOX video output.  Use the link below to reset video output to default settings.

http://support.micro....com/kb/911059

Mistawes

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »

That cable may be your problem because it looks like a straight trough cable for RGB. If you do not have H/V then the picture may not work.

Correct! After going over and over the wiring, I found I'd stuck one of the syncs onto the wrong pin. Was a lil baked when I wired it up and counted in from the wrong side.. Stupid mistake on my part, but atleast now I know!

I started thinking how everyone says RGBHV is essential for VGA and I knew if I used the VGA cable straight from the socket then I'm ruling out everything I'm doing differently. When I had the same problem I knew it must be a sync.

Lesson learned, really appreciate the replies which turned out to be right! I'll stick up a pic of my mammoth cable if I get a chance! Puts out VGA for Xbox360 and Component for X360, Wii and PS2/3. Cost me 12.50 in total, oh and like 2/3 days! biggrin.gif