xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 0020 - Oven Fix + Xclamp....  (Read 297 times)

drewis

• Archived User
0020 - Oven Fix + Xclamp....
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »

okay.

Got a console 0020. took it home, baked it with tinfoil trying to reflow gpu + cpu. Applied AS5 to both.. Out of chassis, on chair, IT BOOTS!!... NO VIDEO. but audio. tried overheating to reflow again, put back in case = 0020 again..

did x-clamp with 2 mm nylon washers on top, 1 mm metal on bottom, 0020 cant get it to boot.

what the hell do I need to do? this xbox has kernel 4355. been down since prolly 2007.... i KNOW it has life left. please help.. heh..

ToBbErT

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »

You just need to buy a new 360 couse these boards are very hard to fix without the right equipment. Methods like the towel fix,oven fix are only temporarily fixes so dont expect any good results. You can find someone who can reflow the board with professional tools but im pretty sure the cost will be to high. And you allready put the 360 in a oven so its really not worth it. I know its not the answer you want but just give up and save yourself a headache and find yourself a exploitable jasper.

drewis

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »

thing is after the oven  it booted but no video. I then adjusted the case screws and I had 480i video and sound but couldn't go higher resolution. I then did te xclamp and now 0020 again. I wider if just baking it at 80 degrees for an hour would unwarp the board? it's been broken since 2006.

ToBbErT

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »

The melting point of the lead-free-solder is 230-240°C so 80°C wont reflow anything. The best way to reflow your 360 in a oven would be in the steel case of the xbox. So it wont bend during the excessive heat. I assume you allready know that your not suppose to reflow the gpu\cpu with the heatsinks attached? Everything has to be removed! Anyway if you want to try it again i would atleast go for 220 °C for 10 min. And leave only the gpu\cpu\hana chips exposed and maybe the ram chips. Use old clothes (t-shirt) as the first layer then two layers aluminium foil. You dont wanna end like this :

http://steve.deadlyc...s/xbox-05-w.jpg

After you cooked your 360 open the door of the oven a little bit and let it cool down for 10 min. I would open alot of windows during the reflow process couse its gonna get nasty. Anyway im just a unexpierenced nub trying to help you out so use at your own risk.

drewis

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »

get this

fixed the GPU - with a hairdryer 2000w..

seems i scratched a trace by the xclamp screw hole, i looked at it 60x magnified.. now error 0110. shit, im positive I had it too.

and yes it was nasty - use a hairdryer if you have one powerful enough.

drewis

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »

Managed to fix it... However.... during the process I scraped a trace... from the ram to the gpu........ i used a powerful blow dryer to reflow - worked excellent.... now i have 0110.... retiring this baby... did good considering i had to cut all the bolts to size and file them down + thread them cause home depot is shit and didnt have 10 mm long.

ToBbErT

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »

Like i said lead-free-solder has a melt point of 230-240 celcius. Your not suppose to use a hairdryer but a heatgun........ Using a hairdryer is useless and wont help at all.

drewis

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »

Dude did you actually read my post?

The hairdryer worked better then the oven dude.

drewZen

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »

Yes... heat gun (hair dryer) does work. I had a rrod box that i kept fixing with xclamp, then try to overheat by keeping console powered on without fan. It would work for couple of days then rrod would come back.

Last ditch effort I used the heat gun... after 3 min or so the gpu flux under the chip started to fizzle a little bit so i knew it must have reflowed the solder. I let it cool down.... turned it on and it has been working great ever since.

If you attempt heat gun fix just be sure to research tutorials and other peoples experiences before you do it.

nitz0

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »

0110 is pretty easy for me to repair. Should consider sending it in if you run into more problems with it. Only $25 bucks. Let the repair guy worry about it and plus they offer you a warranty!  The heat gun, ovens, hair dryers, multiple ways of x clamp mod and all that jazz is just temporary fixes.

If you get the solder Re-Flowed right, you won't have issues....I repair a lot from other repair guys and I see a lot of backyard attempts to keep the RROD away. All which is unnecessary..The more experience you have the more you know if you Re-Flow it right, you will be good to go!  

Plus heat guns BLOW the hot air too much...You want a little heat/air blowing down on the BGA's and slowly work your way up to min of 217c to get the solder to Re-Flow then work your way down. On heat guns you don't have the opportunity to slowly raise the temps at one steady speed. Most only have a few options and that's it. You want to only raise the temps at around 2-3 degrees a second.

Copter64

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »

So after you reflow, whats to stop the issue from reccuring?  Such as the GPU not offering suffcient cooling or the way the stand offs on the metal chasis sit to high and cause flexing?

You just make them set back to factory to my understanding, but didn't they come from a factory with this issue of a pending death?

I understand how effective it is to fix the inital problems but its more than just the original soldering that caused the issue.  What steps do you take on the uneven cooling or the fact that the 2 middle stand offs flex the board too much?

I'm not trying to argue just curious you mention none of the other issues.

Thanks!

nitz0

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »

I understand but at the same time, I don't give out full details on my repair. =)

If I did, others would use it and my repairs wouldn't stand out from my competitors.

Precision PFL uses a "13k" machine and I have repaired several of their consoles now and have had no returns on them. I just have my technique that I have found to actually work.

I don't use the standard 16 metal/16 nylon, I have my own version to keep everything good and strong. I don't have to waste the time to drill holes, cut case,etc.

Sometimes I do wire to 12v as I offer it free with my service(5 in 1 service) but just upon request type of deal.

Copter64

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »

look into the shroud mod, not just cardboard across the heatsink, but creating 2 airflow channels to better exhaust the GPU, all of the consoles I have used that on don't require the 12v mod and provide a 50/50 cooling for the cpu and gpu, i hate hearing that damn fan at 12v

nitz0

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »

Yeah I just got use to the sound on my personal. The surround sound buries the loud Xbox lol  I will have to check that out and see which is more time consuming. I literally have over 90 in right now and I'm a one  man show so time is money. Got it down to one console completely done in about 25 mins. That's cleaning the console, re flow, x clamp, 12v, dvd cleaning/pot tweak. Yeah I offer all that for one low price.   biggrin.gif

Copter64

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »

In that case I agree with the reflow station instead of a heatgun.  Do you have a temperture macro or somthing or do you do it manually.

If you had it setup with a program to do the heating and cooling cycles you'd be able to knock them out quick.
Pages: [1] 2