xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Vga Mod Troubles  (Read 192 times)

AfterTheInsanity

• Archived User
Vga Mod Troubles
« on: February 19, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »

Ive just recently revived my old Xenon, and decided to add a VGA port to the back, so I can use it on my monitor. However, Ive run into an issue - it doesnt work!

All the wires are ~4" long, the signal and corresponding ground wires are twisted together, and I have double-checked my connections (and hot-glued the vga port wires after they all tested fine).

What I see:
- on a spare 17" dell, the monitor acts as if the xbox is plugged in, but off (no please plug cable in screen). when I turn the xbox on (flashed with XBR), it just does nothing
- on my 23" sammy, I get a slightly better result: when I turn the xbox on, I see nothing, then the "Xbox360" screen w/ animation, then nothing again.

On both monitors, the xbox gives the standard red lights when I unplug the vga cable, and the lights go away when I plug it back in.

Perhaps Ive missed something here - any ideas?

EDIT desoldered all the vga wires and plugged it in to my tv w/ the component cables (and the switch set to hdtv), and it doesnt work either. There are a bunch of diagonal lines running from the upper right to lower left. Its hard to explain. ack.

This post has been edited by AfterTheInsanity: Feb 20 2010, 01:05 AM

bidrug

• Archived User
Vga Mod Troubles
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »

you should take it to someone else to do the mod, i've done it successfully, even removed the hole AVIP to make it component and VGA only.

AfterTheInsanity

• Archived User
Vga Mod Troubles
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »

Why should I take it to someone else? If you think my soldering is sub-par (and causing problems) I have no problem proving you wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

bidrug

• Archived User
Vga Mod Troubles
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(AfterTheInsanity @ Feb 20 2010, 12:14 PM) *

Why should I take it to someone else? If you think my soldering is sub-par (and causing problems) I have no problem proving you wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

That's what I've thought, seeing your an x-s elder, but your lates mod isn't going very well...

check wires, some of them are not good enough for this kind of mod, and yes, I know you should be probably better than the average (category which I don't fall but can't see why you're not better than me XD), but this is something that could have happened to anyone.

If you are only using 360 pin 20 to VGA 11 for Monitor ID, some screens will think that something is attached, but will not show anything, some CRTs didn't work for me (unless you installed a switch or shorted 18 and 20 if my brain doesn't fail) and Samsungs worked, and some lcd/plasma screens or monitors will work pretty well.

Now that you have desoldered everything and is not working, is the part where I don't really have idea, as I messed some traces from being stubborn (7 for composite and some other which doesn't matter in the 1st place), soldered to alternative points, and my xenon is still working...

Could it be the ANA or GPU???????

AfterTheInsanity

• Archived User
Vga Mod Troubles
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »

Hmm, so I tried another component cable today, and it doesnt work either. However, the curious thing is that in Xell, I get a perfect display (of some text on a blue background (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)). Could it have something to do with the rebooter?

EDIT Well, I think Im going to blame my tv. With the cable set to tv, and the yellow plug plugged into the back, the display is all blue tinted. however, plugged into the front, its fine. Im gonna have to find myself another tv to test with and rule that out.

EDIT 2 Maybe my process is bad? Ive been flipping the cable to HDTV, plugging it in, then turning the xbox on. Or are there some other steps I need to take? Also, as mentioned, Im using XBR, but I get a proper output in Xell. Could XBR have anything to do with it?

This post has been edited by AfterTheInsanity: Feb 21 2010, 03:41 AM

bidrug

• Archived User
Vga Mod Troubles
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »

Sometimes the 360 needs to be connected as component but leave the switch on TV, run the configuration to set your desired output, and it will ask to place the switch to HDTV.

As for the blue tinted colors, is highly probable that the TV could have some trouble, but you should check your cables with multimeter just to make sure.

AfterTheInsanity

• Archived User
Vga Mod Troubles
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 09:12:00 PM »

Tried the switching thing - when Id switch to 720p the screen would go black for 10 seconds (assuming thats the 'press okay to keep these settings' screen). If I switched to HDTV during that time, the xbox restarts, and I get the bad picture.

Just tested the cable, from the points on the motherboard to the plugs on the cable, and that all checks out. Looks like I need to find a different TV

SovietSlayer

• Archived User
Vga Mod Troubles
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 11:43:00 AM »

If you care about picture quality I would not recommend using VGA or a Moniter.

The 360 gives you a very "washed out" image over VGA and MS expanded fix simply gives you a less "washed out" image.

Using a "TV" with HDMI or Component will yield a better picture then using VGA and/with a "Monitor" at-least with the xbox 360.

This post has been edited by SovietSlayer: Yesterday, 08:21 PM

AfterTheInsanity

• Archived User
Vga Mod Troubles
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 03:20:00 PM »

The reason for adding a vga port was so that I could play with different apps/firmwares/etc without the hassle of reading, burning, taking whatever to the xbox, playing, writing down errors, going back to the computer, googling, etc. I have a spare monitor thats not in use at the moment, thats already hooked up and sitting on my desk, asking to be used, so I figured Id use it

And trust me, if I had a tv with HDMI Id be using it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) The best tv in the whole place is the one Ive been trying with the screwy component inputs - its either that, or Im back to composite or coax.

This post has been edited by AfterTheInsanity: Yesterday, 11:21 PM