xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 360 Dvd5.1 Telly Wiring  (Read 65 times)

brandogg

• Archived User
360 Dvd5.1 Telly Wiring
« on: January 07, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »

Most TV's can't transfer the DD 5.1 audio to a receiver (instead it sends PCM or something else), unless you're using the TV's tuner - as in, you can't get 5.1 from the 360 if you're going from the 360's optical to the TV's input, and from the TV's output to the stereo's input. You most likely (almost always) need to go directly from the 360's optical output to the stereo's input. If you need to hook up more than 1 optical connection to the stereo, get an optical switcher from eBay, and some cables. I got a switcher and 3 or 4 cables for like $8 not too long ago.

Alg

• Archived User
360 Dvd5.1 Telly Wiring
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »

Thanks for the help guys.
I went into a shop today and bought an optical cable before reading these replies.
Doesn't work with that on its own even though the shop guy said that would be all that was needed.
I'll get out later to get an HDMI cable.
Does it get added to what's in there already or do I take the AV component cable out?

crazyshiza

• Archived User
360 Dvd5.1 Telly Wiring
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »

Since the DVD player has the speakers connected to it you will want to connect the optical cable (audio) from the xbox to the dvd player and the hdmi cable (video) from the xbox to the TV.

ruley

• Archived User
360 Dvd5.1 Telly Wiring
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(Alg @ Jan 8 2009, 04:12 AM) View Post

Thanks for the help guys.
I went into a shop today and bought an optical cable before reading these replies.
Doesn't work with that on its own even though the shop guy said that would be all that was needed.
I'll get out later to get an HDMI cable.
Does it get added to what's in there already or do I take the AV component cable out?

If u buy the offical hdmi cable it comes with a audio plug, otherwize if you want to use the optical cable you will have to have both (hdmi and the rgb) pluged in.

crazyshiza

• Archived User
360 Dvd5.1 Telly Wiring
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(Alg @ Jan 8 2009, 11:45 PM) View Post

Unfortunately both the HDMI and the component cable (that incorporates the optical port) are too close together and can't be in the Xbox at the same time to enable me to do so.

Yes, that is why you need to either buy the Microsoft HDMI cable which comes with a smaller version of the optical port, or take the case off the component cable so both HDMI and optical fit, there is a guide for it somewhere on the forums.