xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Video Not Working  (Read 74 times)

Boogyman

• Archived User
Video Not Working
« on: June 10, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »

Someone recently gave me a broken xbox 360. The sound works on it, but the video is is like white dots and white lines. The people who gave it to me said that sometimes they would get 3RLOD. I wouldn't know where to begin on a situation like this so I was going to find a replacement video port.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Video Not Working
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 06:59:00 AM »

it's either a busted GPU or a busted ANA scaler chip

if it's the GPU you're SOL

if it's the ANA then you'll have to track down a working donor chip and find someone with a hot air rework station.

Some of the more professionals with the right equipment could probably do the chip swap for about $40 after shipping and if you provide the chip. This is based on how much they used to charge for ram upgrades on the Xbox 1 which is about the same amount of work (and the same necessary equipment)

you could do it yourself with some SMD chip removal chemicals and an amazingly steady soldering hand but I wouldn't recommend it.

This is also assuming that the ANA isn't locked to the mobo, there is a distinct possibility that it is but I'm sure if you searched around you could find out if anyone has been successful at swapping it out before, I'm sure someone's tried it.

Boogyman

• Archived User
Video Not Working
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »

Ok first off, is there anyway of checking to see if its a busted GPU. I was hoping that this was a heat issue because why would either of those chips just go out?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Video Not Working
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(Boogyman @ Jun 11 2007, 01:50 PM) View Post

Ok first off, is there anyway of checking to see if its a busted GPU. I was hoping that this was a heat issue because why would either of those chips just go out?

The heat causes the BGA to melt into a large blob shorting out the chip and breaking it... That's how most people get the 3 red lights.

I've heard the most successful way to fix it if your GPU is still good is to replace the X-Clamps...

...I still think it's the ANA chip.

Boogyman

• Archived User
Video Not Working
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »

How could I tell if its the ANA chip?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Video Not Working
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 06:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(Boogyman @ Jun 12 2007, 02:13 PM) View Post

How could I tell if its the ANA chip?

replace it and see if it fixes your problems....  tongue.gif

there's no surefire way to tell

try outputting at different resolutions and see if the screwed up graphics change... if they do it's likely the ANA if not its still could be the ana...

if it's the GPU then you're F-ed in the A so you better hope it's the ANA  laugh.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Video Not Working
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 05:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(kosss @ Jun 13 2007, 06:03 PM) View Post

Hi
i prety much had the same problem (no video)
i read through these forums and tried the Xclamp replacement method
and i now  have a working 360

I hadn't even thought of that... I suppose it makes sense though. the X-clam replacement method seems to have overwhelming success fixing these consoles.  smile.gif