xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Optical Audio ?  (Read 78 times)

BoNg420

• Archived User
Optical Audio ?
« on: November 29, 2006, 07:30:00 PM »

will i notice any difference if I use the optical out on my TV to go to my receiver than using the optical out from the xbox 360?  Will sound quality change at all?  

any recommendations.

also is there anything i can buy that isnt cheapy cheap, that i can use to switch devices to connect into one receiver that has only one optical input.  Like say I want to connect my PC, my xbox 360 and my tv all to my receiver.  I dont want to get one of those cheapy things that i have to get up and change.   Unless that is my only option.

autoxerFSP21

• Archived User
Optical Audio ?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 07:22:00 AM »

If your audio input to the TV is through the red and white RCA cables then, yes, you will loose sound quality. You want to keep a digital connection to your A/V receiver so that you get true dolby digital surround.

If you want a good A/V switch it is going to cost you a decent bit of change.

I'm using the pelican pro system selector 2.0.
http://www.newegg.co...CMP=OTC-Froogle

This thread has a lot of good information on the pelican and the equivalent joytech receiver:
http://forums.xbox-s...ican pro system

I believe the Joytech retails for $90 in Best Buy.

BoNg420

• Archived User
Optical Audio ?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 01:25:00 PM »

my tv has an optical out.

Boiker

• Archived User
Optical Audio ?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 09:08:00 AM »

Yeah both zombie4rave and autoxerFSP21 are correct. If you connect the 360 to your tv with stereo leads then use optical out of your tv to the reciever, you will only get stereo sound, not 5 channels.

The switch would be the best option if its not possible to connect the 360 directly to the reciever to get true 5.1.

Navillos

• Archived User
Optical Audio ?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »

does the tv have digital coaxial audio plug? my reciever has only one optical and one digital coaxial. i got my xbox1 on the coaxial with a optical to coaxial converter, and the 360 on the optical. dont know if it will help though.