xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Audio But No Video  (Read 245 times)

Ronu

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« on: August 24, 2006, 05:49:00 PM »

Alright so here is my problem: After leaving my xbox on for a couple hours, id say about 3 or 4 hours, it started to make distortions of the color on my lcd monitor. At first I thought it was the monitor but now my 360 only gives the audio when I start it up. The only thing is that my ring of light isnt red so what i am wondering is if my video card is dead? Wouldnt the red light come on if something broke?

This post has been edited by Ronu: Aug 25 2006, 12:50 AM

Lemon Crevice

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »

i seem to haev a very simmilar problem i can get audio but i don't get video on occasion i do but not all the time and it gets annoying

Ronu

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 11:06:00 AM »

Well now i hooked it up to a regular tv and all i see are little dots on the screen horizontally and vertically spread into a web. So do you think my video card died?

Lemon Crevice

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »

i just hooked up my 360 to a regular tv with the same problem you have it is possible that the video card died but the thing is mine still works occasionally. does anyone know whats wrong and what may solve the problem

hignaki

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 09:25:00 PM »

Sounds like dead/overheated graphics chips.  Make sure your console/power brick isn't in a confined space and is properly cooled.  If you still have problems, call MS.

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 10:14:00 PM »

apparently I heard the ANA chip (video encoder) can die, these are replacable if you have decent soldering skills (its a 144 pin QFP, 0.50mm pitch)

Ronu

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 03:29:00 PM »

Yeah I just called MS and they gave me their bullshit reasons. Apperntly my box isnt under warrenty  and they want me to pay $130 for a repair. I would probably do this except I have opened my case to change the eject button for the dvd drive and the sticker kinda looks like it has been tampered with so right now im debating wether to send it in or not. I'll porb just end up buying another core system cause I have the hdd and then maybe trying to fix this one myself. Who knows how to fix the ANA chip? is there a guide to do this?

redwolf

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ronu @ Aug 26 2006, 10:00 PM) View Post

Yeah I just called MS and they gave me their bullshit reasons. Apperntly my box isnt under warrenty  and they want me to pay $130 for a repair. I would probably do this except I have opened my case to change the eject button for the dvd drive and the sticker kinda looks like it has been tampered with so right now im debating wether to send it in or not. I'll porb just end up buying another core system cause I have the hdd and then maybe trying to fix this one myself. Who knows how to fix the ANA chip? is there a guide to do this?

hold on... if you don't have warranty, and paying for the repair, they won't repair it cos its been opened? wft!! ph34r.gif

hignaki

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 06:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(redwolf @ Aug 26 2006, 10:58 PM) View Post

hold on... if you don't have warranty, and paying for the repair, they won't repair it cos its been opened? wft!! ph34r.gif

They'll only charge you the 130 if you have an unopened console.  If you buy the extended warranty and send your opened console in, they'll refund the cost (possibly minus shipping) and send the console back to you.

Ronu

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 08:17:00 AM »

I already asked them that. They said that if the console was opened in anyway then they wont repair it even if it isnt covered under warrenty. They dont care even if you buy the extended warrenty, once you open your case up they wont repair it.

Besides I've already made up my mind what Im going to do with my dead 360.

1. Im gonna scrap it for parts
2. Im taking it to a gun range and shooting it with an AK-47 and then maybe a mauser
3. Then Im going to ship it to MS in a thousand pieces, we'll see how they like that

I will prob also be making a video of me shooting my 360 and it will prob be up in about a week
Then once thats all done im going out and buying a core

sicknasty413

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 09:32:00 AM »

Wow... that would deffinetly be front page material right there  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Magitues

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 05:41:00 PM »

I'm have the same issue.  Audio and no video.  I bought my 360 on the 1st day of release.

Its played fine for a long time but a couple of days ago the video went away.  Bought another cord and that didn't fix anything.  The next day I turned it on and it magically worked.  I played for about 3 hours with no problems.  The very next day the issue happened again.  It hasn't worked in two days now.

Does anyone have a confirmed source for this problem?

kingoscar

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »

I have pretty much the same issue. My video started giving goofy colors a few weeks ago and finally died. It started working again for a couple days but then died once more and I can't get it do anything but give audio now. I'm sending it in to MS  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

If you have a similar problem and are planning to send yours in I would do it as soon as you can. They're going to start charging for shipping on top of the insane $139.00 they charge for repairs. Ridiculous.

Ronu

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 08:33:00 AM »

I am about 95% sure that the reason people are getting audio but not video is from the video encoder dying from overheating. but it could also be defective chips, which i really doubt is the problem. I think its funny that no red lights blink when you no longer see video. M$ missed another one, good job guys  biggrin.gif  grr.gif

Dr_Bad_Vibes

• Archived User
Audio But No Video
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »

I kinda have the same problem

but the thing is after a few reboots/cable switching and stuff it seems to work again and after a while the process starts over. It doesn't happen when the xbox is on. so it seems to be something that powers up
the xbox or decides what tuner it has to use. My guess is that is kinda works like regular pc cards with
switching between outputs tv/vga/hdtv.

I didnt figure out what the exact problem is.
ive got an eu version running on pal60 atm.
Pages: [1] 2