xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Samsung 42" Dlp Sound Lag Problem?  (Read 102 times)

bonkers255

• Archived User
Samsung 42" Dlp Sound Lag Problem?
« on: January 31, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »

I believe all of the lag problems with samsungs are on 480i.  The video processing and audio do not sync up.  To the best of my knowledge, this is a problem with all samsung dlp's (not positive about the newest generation though).  I looked at one of these sets until I heard about the lag issues, and then I pushed myself up to a Mitsubishi set (which is awesome).  If I were you, I would avoid samsung and try to find either a Mitsubishi or Toshiba set, as all of them I have seen have been amazing and have gotten rave reviews.  If you stick with samsung, watch out for the lag on 480i material (especially older gaming systems like NES, Sega, etc).

Edit: It is not the sound that lags, it's the video.  The video processing takes too long so the video is delayed slightly from the sound.  This is a major problem with timing in older video games as the image the appears on the screen is a split second late, so the timing is nearly impossible.

ikecomp

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 02:07:00 PM »

Indeed.

Even though the samsung sets are the most poplular and have a great picture they have serious issues with lag. I suggest if you still want DLP technology to go with either a Toshiba or Mitsubishi

ikecomp

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 09:27:00 PM »

What model do you have because all of the HLR-xxxx models have lag. I tried halo 2 and mvp baseball and the lag is there. The response time is off  just enough to affect my sniping in halo

ikecomp

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 09:09:00 AM »

Maybe all the sets I tried at Bestbuy and Circuit Shity were just poop but I noticed it when I did a side by side comparison of the Samsung sets and a Panasonic rear-projection LCD. Multiplayer perfect dark was umplayable compared to how good the panasonic handled it.

But ultimately the moral of this story is to try out the set before you buy and if its good enough for you then go for it.

boxrocker

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »

If you are running it with 5.1 surround then you are running it through a receiver.  Therefore, the TV is out of the equation as far as sound lag goes.

bonkers255

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 02:07:00 PM »

Just to clarify, it is not sound lag that is a problem with these sets.  It is video lag or audio sync, whichever you want to call it.  The problem is the scaler in the tv takes too long to process 480i inputs (I think this is the only signal that causes problems).  This delays the video by a fraction of a second which makes it off with the audio.  The audio still comes through in real-time, so the video has the lag issues.  As far as I know, this is only with 480i material, so playing games in at least 480p should correct this issue.  This would mean that the 360 shouldn't have any lag issues with the sammy sets.  However, older consoles will, so I would recommend avoiding samsung (you never know when you will want to hook up an older game or display something in 480i).  If you must go with the sammy, don't say you weren't warned and good luck if you try to use older consoles.