xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The TeamXbox.com Guide to HDTV  (Read 69 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
The TeamXbox.com Guide to HDTV
« on: January 05, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »

The TeamXbox.com Guide to HDTV-- Posted by XanTium on January 5 18:27 EST
TeamXbox posted a great article about HDTV. If you plan to buy an HDTV and you're confused by all the different technologies, this is the guide you need:

After the various emails we have received asking for the best HDTV for the Xbox 360, and with CES 2006 around the corner, we decided it was time to publish a guide that covers each major display technology and helps you in acquiring your next high definition TV.

For every technology we explain in this guide, we've recommended a specific model being we are constantly asked which television is the best for an Xbox 360 gamer. We have decided to boil it down to the essentials so we don't just tell you what HDTV to buy, but the reasons why it is a smart choice.

The following guide explains all the different display technologies, major advantages and disadvantages of each, and the preferred room size and price range.

Go check it out on teamxbox.com

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »

What a freaking AWESOME read!!!  That OLED is incredible.  The future is bright.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 09:14:00 AM »

that's a fantastic article... I couldn't have written it better myself!

I added a link in the sticky and I recomend people start posting that link whenever someone asks "what's the best tv?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 6 2006, 09:45 AM) *

that's a fantastic article... I couldn't have written it better myself!

I added a link in the sticky and I recomend people start posting that link whenever someone asks "what's the best tv?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

It went straight to my sig along side your A/V guide.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 02:17:00 PM »

good idea... I added it to mine as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Ballz2TheWallz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »

i dont like the top crt picks, it should have been an XBR then a XSS then panasonic tubes, OLED looks interesting......im not gonna regret going HD now instead of later am i?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »

I'm sure one OLED is out there will be other crap on the horizon...

if you don't by tech today for fear of something better tomorrow you'll never get to a point where you can buy anything.

My take on it... if there's something you own that you want to upgrade, figure out what you want to spend and just buy it... by all means do some research, if there's some new tech that comes out a month or two down the road then wait but for all intents and purposes it's usually not worth waiting.

new tech is always coming out.

I have a DLP projector, it's showing it's age and I quite often salivate over the newer projectors on the market now... but you know what, I like my projector, it's a hell of a lot better then the last one I had and it's a hell of a lot better then what most people have period. Sure newer projectors on the market completely mop the floor with it but the point is... six months to a year from now there will be new projectors that mop the floor with those... and six months to a year after that... and so on...

The point is when you're ready to upgrade and have the funds to do so... JUST DO IT and NEVER expect that what you're buying will be the last thing you ever own... when it comes time to upgrade that, then upgrade. it's a living process, items have life cycles, such is capitalism

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »

Well stated, twistedsymphony.  I just bought a 34" widescreen CRT TV.  Some friends thought I was high for doing it since it's so heavy and all-around big.  But I didn't have an HDTV, and the room where it sits isn't big enough for a huge DLP, and I don't want plasma or LCD.  The PQ is unbelievable, and I am happy with it.  I'll wait for a nice OLED to be released to consumers and upgrade then.

GSX

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 03:54:00 PM »

Great guide...Btw I love my CRT HDTV!

Edit: My tv is #4 on the teamxbox list

This post has been edited by GSX: Jan 8 2006, 11:57 PM

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »

One think I wish they would have covered is front projectors, or LCD based projection systems...

GSX

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »

Yea projectors would be good too. I'm dying to get one of those 1080p dlp's. Might just wait till the ps3 drops, so I have a 1080p source. Also they will be cheaper by then, not that 3k for 1080p is that expensive.

Ballz2TheWallz

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 05:58:00 PM »

i feel people neglect the fact that CRT rear projection tvs can get you 51inches in HD 1080i for a mere $1000~

thats the way im looking to go ATM

bonkers255

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 02:46:00 AM »

That is a damn good read.  I personally can't wait to see SED displays.  All the perksin quality of a crt, progressive scan and flat panel.  I think that may be my next tv ~4-5 years down the line.

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 11:56:00 AM »

Yeah, the SED looks really interesting too.  One thing that is really eye-catching is LOW MANUFACTURING COST!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)