xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Japanese Xbox Region?  (Read 107 times)

mrRobinson

• Archived User
Japanese Xbox Region?
« on: December 24, 2005, 06:33:00 AM »

I'm trying to figure this out and can't seem to get any solid info off my various searches.  Is the Japanese xbox region encoded?  If so what, pal?  Basically I have a japanese xbox to send to a friend in Eur and want to make sure it'll play pal games and work on their TV.

Arakon

• Archived User
Japanese Xbox Region?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 07:25:00 AM »

pal and ntsc are videoformats, NOT region codes.. the japanese xbox is region coded just like any other, and uses ntsc. but even if it was switched to PAL it wouldn't play european games.

mrRobinson

• Archived User
Japanese Xbox Region?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 09:36:00 AM »

would this work hooked up to a european tv via scart and then played with american games?

fahrenheit

• Archived User
Japanese Xbox Region?
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 04:53:00 PM »

Are we talking about the Xbox or the 360 here?

Japanese games are coded region 2, US games are coded region 1. PAL games are coded region 4. Video standards are NTSC for JP and US machines and PAL for all region 4 machines. The video standards and region settings are completely independant of each other.

If you are talking about 360, then for the moment, your friend will not be able to play anything but region 2 coded (or region free) games.

If you are talking about the original Xbox, you can use configmagic and mod the machine to any region and video standard combination you desire.