xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox360 Vga Experience (ms Vs Monster Vga)  (Read 116 times)

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
Xbox360 Vga Experience (ms Vs Monster Vga)
« on: December 23, 2005, 01:07:00 AM »

thanks for the somparo between the two vga cables. i know which one ill be getting now (m$ one).

as for your problem, have you tried playign with some more settings on teh tv, to see if the binding will go away?

redwolf

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 10:37:00 AM »

yeah nice little review smile.gif . them Monster cables are full of shit. EVEN if there is a difference it is NOT worth the price  ph34r.gif

have you played PGR3? if so, is there improvement on the jaggy compared to Component vs VGA? that game is pissing me off with the lame ass jaggy  dry.gif

and yeah i too have noticed the colour banding or duffision or whatever you call it. even on some PC games i get them. but i think thats normal. and not fault on the X360 gfx chip.

gamerguy999

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 10:12:00 PM »

Isn't Monster the supplier of MS's cables? If so, there probably isn't much difference between the MS ones, and the Monster ones(if any at all)...

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 12:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(gamerguy999 @ Dec 23 2005, 10:19 PM) View Post

Isn't Monster the supplier of MS's cables? If so, there probably isn't much difference between the MS ones, and the Monster ones(if any at all)...

I highly doubt that, considering that Monster sells a 360 vga cable too.  But if so, please give a reference.

jizmo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 01:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(FlashKick @ Dec 24 2005, 10:12 AM) View Post

about the jaggies...yeah i've noticed a lot of jaggies in COD2 at the store demo with that lcd tv, but they used component connection. good to know the vga cable helps with that(although i don't see why it should give extra AA).

I've said this over and over again, maybe someone should put this to the FAQ or something.

VGA is better on paper than component, but not light-years better. In fact, in the time of VGA CRT monitors some high-end 20" monitors had component-inputs, since some people preffered them for the color accuracy.

Now, there's this thing called overscanning, which usually occures when using any video sources (RCA, composite, s-video, scart etc), it hides some of the undesired video borders out of the viewed area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

It's actually a good thing to have in videos etc, but since Xbox image doesn't contain anything we'd like hide beneath those borders, overscanning is actually very much undesirable. Your x360 outputs 1280x720p image, if 8% of that is overscanned, the actual pixels you see on your screen are about 1177x662. You've lost 103 pixels vertically and 58 pixels horizontally, which is enough to make component look more jagged in comparison.

Most TVs overscan, some don't. Most TV's don't have manual settings for adjusting overscan, some do.

VGA sources in every TV are treated so that 1:1 of the picture is visible on screen, and there's no overscan, which assures no pixels are lost and picture is sharper.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(jizmo @ Dec 24 2005, 07:54 PM) View Post

VGA sources in every TV are treated so that 1:1 of the picture is visible on screen, and there's no overscan, which assures no pixels are lost and picture is sharper.

thanks for the detailed info. ive seen one of my mates high end tv's, and it overscan's like a bitch.

the vga handling of teh tv's i have seen is miles better then component

slimsh8dynb

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 07:27:00 AM »

yeah so i dont have and hdtv, so i wanted to use vga cables for my sweet (joke) 17" crt monitor. does the vga cables go right to the monitor, or thru the computer, then to the monitor? and im a money cheap bastard, and was wondering if ne1 had used the pelican vga adapter? its like 20 bucks er less online, and was wondering if its as good.

bump...

slimsh8dynb

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 09:02:00 AM »

bump

MadFerIt2005

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 06:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(slimsh8dynb @ Dec 24 2005, 09:34 AM) View Post

yeah so i dont have and hdtv, so i wanted to use vga cables for my sweet (joke) 17" crt monitor. does the vga cables go right to the monitor, or thru the computer, then to the monitor? and im a money cheap bastard, and was wondering if ne1 had used the pelican vga adapter? its like 20 bucks er less online, and was wondering if its as good.

bump...

Havn't tried it myself, but I'd go with the official MS one.  Includes the gender/audio adapters you might need.