xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Hdmi Cables  (Read 141 times)

kezor

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Hdmi Cables
« on: December 22, 2005, 01:50:00 AM »

Toys R Us Link

So I guess these are out for $19.99 I don't know how good these would be.

FooLiP

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Hdmi Cables
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 04:24:00 AM »

the picture in that link is of a component cable, i'd be wary about it!

C o s m o

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Hdmi Cables
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 08:04:00 AM »

And Pelican's website doesn't even have 360 accessories linked to its homepage.  I don't buy it.

jizmo

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Hdmi Cables
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 08:15:00 AM »

I wouldn't expect DVI / HDMI cables any time soon, not even (cheap) third party ones.

Analogue to digital conversion is extremely hard, nothing like converting Svideo to composite, or even transcoding component to vga (which is pretty hard to do right). DVI/HDMI support has to be put in the system from ground up, coming up with a cable later that would do the conversion is much harder and more expensive.

There are VGA/Composite to DVI convertors out there already, but they require a hefty amount of electronics, external power sources and will set you back $600-$800, so it's not about just soldering a few wires. MS didn't release the cables in launch and will not do so.

It's a big design flaw, if you ask me, but what can you do?

frenzy987

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Hdmi Cables
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(jizmo @ Dec 22 2005, 02:46 PM) View Post

It's a big design flaw, if you ask me, but what can you do?

I don't see how its a design flaw, for starters the VAST majority of people don't even have a hdmi capable TV.  Also MS has not officially stated they will bring out a HD-DVD equipped 360 (I personally doubt they will at all).  And finally hdmi offers so little improvement (picture quality wise) over component in the majority of situations there is no need for it.

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Hdmi Cables
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 01:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(frenzy987 @ Dec 22 2005, 09:46 PM) View Post

And finally hdmi offers so little improvement (picture quality wise) over component in the majority of situations there is no need for it.

That's the big kicker right there.... a lot of people don't realize that DVI/HDMI doesn't provide a whole lot of gain in quality.  (wouldn't be suprised if the people complaining have never even tried DVI)  It's more of a device for bragging rights or something to get just to have that reassurance that ur "getting the most" out of your TV.  Not having it isn't really that big a deal, trust me.

BlueCop

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Hdmi Cables
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 02:35:00 AM »

I don't trust anyone but you are mostly right. It depends on the device and its internel electronics. like my linkplayer2 i use to playback 1080i transport stream files of movies riped off premium networks looks significantly better with DVI rather then component. This is because the video filter they applied were basicly cut and copied for what they did for the composite which i have found in other electronics. This introduced a softness to the video. I of course removed the video filters to increase the sharpness of the image(because i have a pc hooked up the the hdmi port) but i don't think it technically meets FCC requirements now. Now the output looks almost identical with DVI having the edge but i think it is because my component cables are picking up some noise. i might get some better sheilded cables.

I agree with you about DVI/HDMI and component are pretty much the same image quality on most sets. I know people who say with HD projectors on very large screens who say the difference is clear but i can't comment because i don't have a setup like that.

DVI/HDMI is being promoted though because they can make it secure transport medium with their digital content so it can't be captured like with HD-DVD and Bluray when they come out. I really wish xbox could have had HD-DVD and at launch =(

sorry if i ramble. I sliding down off a high from fat blunt.

noz1380

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Hdmi Cables
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 03:31:00 AM »

Ok I think I'm following.  I'm still waiting for my 360 Prem so I dont know what you get in the box.  

I have been looking for a HD Ready TV, the guys have told me I'd need HDMI, but from what I gather the 360 doesn't connect this way?  Does it us component cables then for HD?

Also while I'm here, I have a 21" 1600X1200 TFT Monitor.  Can I hook up a 360 to this (VGA or DVI)?  Will it be in HD?

Also from what I gather the component cables are not digital?  Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Can I have a go on you Blunt?

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Hdmi Cables
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 03:52:00 AM »

Well, we've got got a 61" DLP.  Switching from component to DVI shows very little improvement.  Yeah, you can see the difference if ur looking at the fine detail, such as the transition of gradients (which is a lil smoother; no artifacts), but nothing significant.  Like said, the big draw is the fact it's pure digital.

And Noz1380, PLEASE read the FAQ at the top of the forum.  That'll take care of almost any Q you have.

This post has been edited by Owtlaw333: Dec 23 2005, 11:53 AM

TheOtherBob

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Hdmi Cables
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 08:30:00 AM »

I think one nice thing about HDMI would be for people using receivers that upconvert the incoming analog signals out the HDMI monitor out.  If you don't have a real nice upconverting receiver and are using upconversion your Xbox360 outputs a nice 720p/1080i and then your receiver "upconverts" it to 480p.  Not the direction I'd want to go.  I believe the Yamaha HTR-5990 has this issue.  It's a pretty nice looking receiver but that issue is kinda a drawback.  It doesn't upconvert any incoming signal on the HDMI port so putting your 360 on HDMI would be a plus there if you could.  It's easy to get around by just jacking the 360 straight into your tv but it'd sure be nice to just have ONE output to your tv/projector and let the receiver handle all the switching.  I think the JVC-D702B might even have this same issue but I'm not sure there.

I don't have 2.5k to spend on a receiver.... but I'd like to get one that upconverts all analog and outputs it via the HDMI without "downconverting" an Xbox360.

btw- Happy Holidays!