xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Are Monster Cables Worth It?  (Read 251 times)

aepuppetmaster

• Archived User
Are Monster Cables Worth It?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 05:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Owtlaw333 @ Nov 30 2005, 10:52 AM) View Post

Did you put a flashlight to it or something?  The light that gets transmitted is red, not white.

well i put one end to my light and saw.  i also put it to diffrent sold color areas (sam of course) on my monitors(lcd) and saw how it did.  it was informal, but i was convinced.  on another note tho, i was not able to notice a sound diffrence when i used that one, maybbe cuz of my system.  it also maybe cuz i was playing pdz, not really paying atention and it was not like dvd quality audio.    beerchug.gif

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 01:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(zombie4rave @ Dec 1 2005, 08:21 AM) View Post

Its light man. You either have it or you dont. Theres not going to be any sound difference in optical cables. Either it works or it doesnt. The only differences are going to be in the construction/duribility of the cable.

Umm.. no.  The quality of light matters.  Over a certain length (just like any cable) the light degrades/fades.  Also, some cables are just shit... foggy, or scratched outta the box.  When the lights is disrupted by scrathes or fades, there's a loss in quality.  Yes, if it is too disrupted, it will just not work, but there is a loss of quailty with anything less.

zombie4rave

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »

Umm.. no. The quality of light matters. Over a certain length (just like any cable) the light degrades/fades. Also, some cables are just shit... foggy, or scratched outta the box. When the lights is disrupted by scrathes or fades, there's a loss in quality. Yes, if it is too disrupted, it will just not work, but there is a loss of quailty with anything less.

The cable would have to be very long to create any kind of loss problems. Youre talking about a 6 to 12 foot cable in most cases. Loss shouldnt be a big problem unless the cable is VERY poor. If there is a scratch then you have a bad cable. Thats a given. If the signal is marginal error correction will kick in on your equiptment. If its too poor for the error correction to overcome then yes, you will hear it but it will be clicks, dropouts or digital noise. There will be audible errors. It wont be the type of situation where you can say one sounds better than another. If the light was distrupted completely or intermittenly youd lose your signal. But if its getting through at least reasonably well you'll never know the difference. If youre hearing clear sound you have a good cable. I still say the biggest difference is going to be duribilty. How it reacts to bends and aging. Its not going to be something like 'this one lets the light through easier so it sounds better." If youre talking copper cabling then theres much more room to argue but with optical any decent quality, undamaged cable is as good as the next. If you dont believe me, try it.

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 10:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(zombie4rave @ Dec 1 2005, 02:01 PM) View Post

The cable would have to be very...............

Exactly what I was sayin'... minus the in depthness of ur post, lol.  I aggree that durability should come first in choosing a cable because chances are that any cable will work just dandy outta the box. (Hell, I still use a cheap RadioShack cable I got way back when for the PS2)  I've only heard of one person getting a scratched cable right out of the package.

zombie4rave

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 06:04:00 AM »

No disrespect meant Owtlaw. I think we might actually agree for the most part.  happy.gif
Pages: 1 [2]