xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Widescreen And Regular Tv  (Read 127 times)

slayer61

• Archived User
Widescreen And Regular Tv
« on: October 05, 2005, 09:39:00 PM »

since the next xbox is widescreen and high def when u play your 360 on a basic normal tv with 4:3 aspect ratio are you going to c those black bars and top and bottom of screen as with widescreen dvd movies on a regular tv. and how much quality are you loosing on picture without and HD TV. i hope it still looks good on a regualr tv.

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 12:39:00 AM »

In terms of resolution, you will see no difference from ur DVD player, xbox1, or 360.  Regular televisions are limited.  There will be no black bars.  It's going to function the same way XB1 did.  Sorta.  It simultaniously broadcasts in HD and non-HD.  There's plugs for each one on the cable that comes with the Premium.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 05:11:00 AM »

All games are Required to support 720p, Developers can choose to support no other resolution but 720p, the consoles hardware can up or down-scale that to work with a 1080i set or a 480i set depending on your preferences.

720p is a widescreen only format, so if you down-scale it to 480i you will have black bars...

MS has said that they will give you options for how to deal with that, like stretch, and zoom etc.

I personally think any developer who chooses to go strictly 720p with no native 4:3 480i support  would be foolish...

But yes it is possible that some games will have black bars, it depends entirely on the decisions of the developer.

deadpool66

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 08:16:00 AM »

My tv is big enough were the black bars dont bother me I would rather play in widescreen than have the image cropped.

slayer61

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 06:24:00 PM »

ya  i guess it would be dumb to not support both. is it not going to look that great on a regualr tv. HD is very expensive i look at gettign one when the become a bit cheaper i have a 2006 new 27 inch coclour toshiba and the picture is great. i would actaully like to play a 360 on surround sound and high def beofre i could make a decison wether it is worth the money. how much am i losing picture wise compared to HD? 90 % 60 %?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 07:49:00 PM »

well if you were paying attention last week Target was selling a 26" HD Widescreen Samsung on clearance for $250-$350 depending on the store...

You'd be hard pressed to find a non HDTV much cheaper even close to the quality.

Unfortunately that ship has sailed so you'll need to wait till this time next year for another Target deal like that.

As for how much picture you loose. Technically speaking a 16:9 image trimmed down to 4:3 looses a whole 1/3 of the picture. meaning that you're only left with 66.7% of the original image.

In terms of the actual picture area of a 26" widescreen vs a 26" fullscreen. The fullscreen typically has the larger effective diagonal if only by 2 or 3 inches.

slayer61

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 08:43:00 PM »

sorry twsited i meant like the quality of the picture like clearness and resolution not the size.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 06:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(slayer61 @ Oct 9 2005, 10:54 PM)
sorry twsited i meant like the quality of the picture like clearness and resolution not the size.