xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Do I Get Toslink To 6rca?  (Read 84 times)

spartan_k3b

• Archived User
How Do I Get Toslink To 6rca?
« on: September 11, 2005, 01:59:00 AM »

I have come to the conclusion that I need a 5.1 surround sound decoder, with a toslink input and 6 coaxial (rca) output jacks.  Anyone know where such things are?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 08:18:00 AM »

This is a classic case of buying surround sound speakers designed for a PC that end up being completely useless for anything else.

Surround Sound Decoders are expensive... the cheapest stand alone decoder I've ever seen is about $150 (if anyone knows of a cheaper one please let me know) and for that price I you might as well just buy some new speakers with a decoder built in. Another option would be to buy a surround sound receiver, which would probably be closer to the $200 range.

the reason is... cheap surround sound systems (for things other than PC use) have built in decoders. The only people who use surround sound decoders are Audiophiles with surround sound systems worth more than my house. So really the only stand alone decoders around cater to those people.

The reason most PC surround sound speakers don't have built in decoding is to save on cost. the decoding can be done with software on the PC and it saves them a few bucks in the speaker system to not include it if they don't have to.

There are MANY MANY MANY cheap surround sound solutions that work well with PCs, Consoles, and whatever home theater device you want to throw at it, in this case a little research could have saved you a lot of money.

irishdrunk

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 06:17:00 PM »

smile.gif )
That would have had probably 160 dollars on it, and it is sweet.  3 component inputs 3 optical inputs...etc.

You might not need something that powerful, but I am willing to bet you can find one at a pawnshop with component and optical inputs for less than 100 bucks.

KeYlime

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 12:58:00 AM »

Couldn't you just get a receiver with multichannel preamp outputs, I have one it was about 200 for a pioneer.

JustDanMI

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 10:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(spartan_k3b @ Sep 11 2005, 03:43 AM)
are rca audio cables also called coaxial cables?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(JustDanMI @ Sep 19 2005, 12:31 PM)
To answer that question, it is NO.  Coaxial is that black wire with the little copper wire sticking out the middle that people used to screw into the back of the tv.  They're the old type of connections people used for cable tv and such back in the day.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 09:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Sep 19 2005, 10:02 AM)
Technically speaking that's both correct and incorrect