xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Using More Than 16 Gb Of Space For Your Usb Hdd On 360 (the Bigger The  (Read 916 times)

Elistas

• Archived User

Meat5000:

Very interesting post. With the latest updates, Microsoft now lets you use 32 GB of storage but I was intrigued with your post and wanted to check out some possibilities.

In the 'Xbox360' folder on the USB device, there are now files up to Data0033 that are 1GB each.

I loaded Data0001 into a hex editor and notice that if you convert the initial hex information to decimal, they add up to 31. (It doesn't include the Data0000 and Data0001 files, obviously.) So like you thought, the number of 1GB files allocated in the folder is governed by the information in Data0001.

I'm going to do some more experiments to make sure, but I'll get back to you on this.

beenle

• Archived User
Using More Than 16 Gb Of Space For Your Usb Hdd On 360 (the Bigger The
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(Elistas @ Feb 4 2013, 10:17 PM) View Post

Meat5000:

Very interesting post. With the latest updates, Microsoft now lets you use 32 GB of storage but I was intrigued with your post and wanted to check out some possibilities.

In the 'Xbox360' folder on the USB device, there are now files up to Data0033 that are 1GB each.

I loaded Data0001 into a hex editor and notice that if you convert the initial hex information to decimal, they add up to 31. (It doesn't include the Data0000 and Data0001 files, obviously.) So like you thought, the number of 1GB files allocated in the folder is governed by the information in Data0001.

I'm going to do some more experiments to make sure, but I'll get back to you on this.

kusabijr

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »

Perhaps most people nowadays with XBOX 360 and without a real XBOX 360 hdd but has a USB STORAGE that is quite big in space, but only 16gb can be used, are being tormented by the fact that they can't use the maximum space their USB STORAGE offers for their 360.. That certainly includes me.. But fear not.. I've found a little workaround to this problem.

What you'll be needing:

A PC (any pc with usb 2.0 port,)
A USB STORAGE ( usb harddisk, anything.. the bigger, the better)
and means to connect that USB STORAGE to the PC (of course)

First off, you must have already used your USB STORAGE for Xbox 360, and it should have worked now too. Giving you the 16 gb storage space you can have. Once you do that, when you plugged the thing back to your pc.. showing all hidden files is a must on the folder options.. You should see this folder named "Xbox360" and it should be 16+ gb in space,

(IMG:http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7366/screen1iro.jpg)

There you.. now how do I expand that.. that's pretty simple..

Just copy that folder and paste it to the root directory of your USB STORAGE..notice the "Xbox360 - A" folder right there? That's what I labelled "Xbox360 - A" folder and there, I've saved some games. But It's is not the one which will work when you put back the USB STORAGE to the 360.

The folder with the name "Xbox360" will the storage used and loaded as an MU.

To use the "Xbox360 - A" folder as the MU, simply rename the "Xbox360" folder to "Xbox360 - B" and then rename the "Xbox360 - A" to "Xbox360" and vice versa as the needed.

Now you have an actual 32GB of space for game storage on the USB STORAGE although you have to rename the folders periodically for games installed at different folders. Sorry for my bad english, and bad explanation but I do hope you understand these. They're pretty simple.

And yes, you can make as much copies of that folder as long as the USB STORAGE can handle (in my 120 gb usb hdd, I've made 4 copies of it that sums up to 64GB space for game storage) and just label them accordingly so you won't get confused (Like Xbox360 - A, Xbox360 - B, Xbox360 -C, Xbox360 - D) and don't forget to rename the folder you'll use as an MU as "Xbox360"

It's kind of a little hassle to rename folders but hey, you won't have to do this everytime. Just when you want to back up games and save your DVD drive for early retirement, it's something worth it I guess. And renaming doesn't really take that much long I think, unless you don't know how to operate the computer.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

And we gotta give it to microsoft for using this method (Not actually having to treat the HDD as 16 GB but rather allocating 16GB space in a folder) and I hope it stays that way. USB HDD for my opinion loads faster than actual 360 hdds too I think..

So there.. I hope this was helpful to you guys. ^^ (So much for a first post)

This post has been edited by kusabijr: Mar 3 2011, 12:44 AM

xiaoyan848

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »

great post !! thank you for sharing ,,..

Coach Handbagscoach outlet

meat5000

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 06:33:00 AM »

Don't mean to pee on your bonfire but I think this was everyones first immediate thought when they discovered the USB update. Seen a thousand people on the interweb saying "they found a workaround" but spending that much time copying 16gb of files, and the method, are equivalent of using separate devices really.
Let's break this thing for real...

I've been musing recently on this 16GB USB drive limit that was imposed by M$ when they enabled full use of USB drives.

I notice that when you "condition" the USB device for use with the Xbox360 through the dashboard an Xbox360 folder is created on the drive which is already 16.5GB in size (assuming you selected the maximum amount). If you use a PC to look at the folder, as we know, there are a bunch of Dataxxxx files in there. The files data0002 and upward are all 1Gb size files which I assume are basically empty files to begin with, padded out with 00's or FF's. This is to reserve space and make the HDD report as being 16.5GB.
You can not simply add more 1GB dataxxxx files as they are not registered in the Table of contents.

I assume the Data0001 file is an allocation table which explains the next location of a file cluster. I make this assumption as when I look with a hex editor it is basically just a range of incrementing numbers going up to "00 06 0C 20" and then afterwards, terminating with "FF FF FF FF".

Now what I am thinking is this:

If I modify Data0001 to include a further range of numbers and then add extra 1Gb data00xx files to represent reserved space, will the xbox read this as extra space on the drive above the 16Gb limit? Will Data0000 need to be modified to represent this change? (Fresh CRCs etc)

Also, will the file size of data0001 be detected? It's just over 4Meg per 16GB. i.e it takes 4 meg to register the memory ranges for 16GB, so 320GB of memory would need ~80Meg

My logic is as follows:
If the 16.5GB is reserved on creation there is an indication that it will not be tampered with by the Xbox software afterwards.
The Data files all have 4 digits (0000, 0001). If the last file is Data0017 why the need for 4 digits? Well, it is already in place for this to be increased greatly.

If anyone knows more on this subject please fill me in!