xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360s Internal Wifi Mod?  (Read 1287 times)

dan_hackd

• Archived User
Xbox 360s Internal Wifi Mod?
« on: January 25, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »

Right basically i have stuffed my 360 slim and given it E75 somehow, i'm trying to make use of some of the parts and am wondering if what i am thinking is possible? basically looking at this pinout of the internal wifi card there is a 3.3v, 2 grounds, Data + and Data -... not sure what NC is?

(IMG:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5088172029_a10d11a4b6.jpg)

i would have typically thought this would not work with standard usb which is 5v. but checking over the xbox 360 header and connectors the old 360's memory card slots have 3.3v, 2 grounds, D+ and D- the point unmarked is also ground.

(IMG:http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/04/desolder_2_engadget_howto.jpg)

is it possible for the old 360 to recognize the wireless adapter this way?

This post has been edited by dan_hackd: Jan 25 2011, 04:03 PM

Takashi

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:26:00 AM »

NC = No Connection

Scrufdog

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »

this project ever go anywhere?

Jumpy_Beans

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »

Yeah, sounds interesting I would like to know if this would work also?

SmallAntelope

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »

Anybody have any more info on this? I would like to try this and see if it works - Slim wifi boards are a lot cheaper than the old wifi adapters!

danthaman673

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(mjstriker5 @ Jan 8 2012, 02:02 PM) View Post

Don't know if any is still following this thread but I happened upon it a couple days ago as I was looking to internalize my wifi adapter. I decided to follow the advice and remove the memory card slots on the front of my 360.

I have one of those new "n" wireless adapters with the two antennas. I tore it apart and cut the usb end off. I wired up the four wires to the points shown on the pic above.

It works!!!!! My wireless network popped up full signal.

I modified front of the 360 to have the antennas sit right in front of the memory card slots behind the face plate... worked out really well since there are two holes for the wires to pass through and all I had to do was cut a little plastic for the big antennas to rest there

Now the bad news... While placing the wifi unit I somehow tore the red wire right where it joins the mini connector on the wifi unit. Rather than dealing with it I decided to hard wire it to the board. Would of went fine but I lifted a pad. Don't ask me how I am still pissed.

Anyways I spent a few hours trying to solder to alternate points only to get it to work for a little bit then it would stop. Such a noob mistake but that's life.

Good new it works. Bad news is I have to wait to get a new adapter to try again but when it is done it will be nice and I won't lose the back usb which is going to be converted to a kinect plug in the near future.  wink.gif

I could have sworn I posted my findings on this here ages ago, maybe it was elsewhere, it's easy to make a dipole, or solder on and extend to a full-wave antenna (or SNA connector in my case) I did it the day I got my slim as the .N had terrible reception (I got it about 2 weeks after release) I use it all the time using just the connector and nothing attached and it still works better than the stock PCB-crappy antenna. I was wondering if anyone had actually identified the chipset as according to common-law they are meant to stick to a standard (like the DATEL/memory stuff and controllers) it would be stupid no to. The connector appears same as internal MU and kinect pinouts, so should be easy to figure-out how to add a different NIC  wink.gif  RGH could solve any driver issues potentially also. Myabe if M$ made them perform better and didn't over-price them we wouldn't be here but as it is....

benriv16

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(Scrufdog @ Jun 5 2011, 09:25 PM) View Post

this project ever go anywhere?

i stuck an external antenna on mine  cool.gif i took it apart one day and i saw the wifi card and i noticed a little knob looking thing on one part of it so i wondered if i could connect an antenna to it so i did lol IPB Image
 i just now did this today so i wont know if there really isnt much of an improvement yet but so far full bars for my wireless connection smile.gif....im sorry for the big ass photo lol