xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wired Ftp=10m/s, Wireless=1.9m/s, Wtf  (Read 250 times)

Aldanga

• Archived User
Wired Ftp=10m/s, Wireless=1.9m/s, Wtf
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »

Your wireless won't achieve 100Mb/s speeds like wired will. At most you'll probably get 8MiB a second. Wireless is significantly slower and has a lot more potential problems (like wireless phones and other radio noise) than traditional wired setups.

As for the Speedtest.net results: Speedtest.net (and Internet speeds in general) measures in megabits, not megabytes. 1 megabyte is approximately equal to 8 megabits. So, your Internet is 1.25 megabytes per second or 10 megabits.

There's nothing out of the ordinary with your setup or speeds.

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »

That's a theoretical speed, not an actual speed. There are overhead problems, signal problems, interference and a whole host of other potential detractors for wireless speed. I've got a 54Mbps wireless network and the most I get is just over 2MiB a second--and even that is pretty rare. Averages are usually around 1-1.5MiB/s.

Above all of this, you need to take into account the limitations of your 360 wireless adapter. I'm not sure what kind of speeds they normally get (either the original or the new 802.11n adapter), but you're not going to max out your wireless network by any stretch of the imagination.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 02:05:00 AM »

Short version:

802.11g - 54 Mbit/s
802.11n - up to 600 Mbit/s depending on your hardware

However, for most people, whose 802.11n will run in the 2.4 Ghz band, you'll only get over 54 Mbit/s if you have no 802.11g or other 2.4Ghz ISM devices anywhere near your setup, and that's unlikely. If any of your devices are 802.11g then you are likely to be running at 802.11g speeds i.e. 54 Mbit/s. If you run your 802.11n at 5GHz your chances of getting a higher line rate improve dramatically, but this usually requires two things:

- a wireless router with two radio access points, one for 5Ghz and one for 2.4Ghz. Only the expensive ones have this feature.
- 802.11n client devices that work in the 5Ghz band, and these are rare, because the standard doesn't require this mode of operation.

Bottom line: you're far more likely to be running at 802.11g line rates of 54 Mbit/s, regardless of what your router is rated for.

It gets worse. From the 54 Mbit/s you have to deduct the overhead for the contention process, interframe spacing, PHY level headers (Preamble + PLCP) and acknowledgment frames. You also get the problem that wireless is half duplex, so can only transmit in one direction at a time, so as well as the PHY acknowledgement frames you also get higher layer protocol acknowledgement. The rule of thumb for this is that the overhead will take 10% of the bandwidth, and the higher layer protocol acknowledgement will potentially halve the throughput depending on the protocol - so now you're down to 25 Mbit/s. Factor in the bits to bytes conversion (divide by 8), remove another ~10% for higher layer protocol overhead (packet headers etc.) and you have ~3Mbytes/sec of real data.

That 3 Mbytes/sec is shared between all devices on your wireless. Oh, and any interference from neighbours wireless LANs, cordless telephones, microwave ovens, video senders etc. will reduce the throughput even further. Hence, as Aldanga says, you end up in the 1-3 Mbytes/sec range, but typically nearer the bottom end, unless you have specifically designed your system and selected your components to operate over 802.11n in the 5Ghz band.

ravendrow

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »

i have an airlink wireless n PCI card  that i can turn into an access point using the ralink driver and software (ralink made the chips inside 90% of airlink cards) and it only cost me like $30 usd so you don't have to go oober expensive to get something that will let you ftp faster than 10 mb/s the only thing that drove me nuts was a month after i bought my wifi g adapter for my 360 they came out with the Wireless N i just said f it and used my Ethernet i am not gonna drop $100 for faster than 10 mb/s speed i can wait 5 to 10 minutes to ftp a game to my 360

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 05:59:00 AM »

i have a wndr3300 running ddwrt...
the n is set at 5ghz, im connected on the n band and the 360 is connected to the router via ethernet and my upload speeds to the 360 are still only around 2megabytes a second. should be higher...