xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ftp Dies Over Wifi  (Read 227 times)

Drefsab

• Archived User
Ftp Dies Over Wifi
« on: February 28, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »

Hi I've been having an odd issue, I've got one of the official wireless N dongles, if im ftping into ether xexmenu or freestyle dash to transfer games the transfer gets so far then dies and I cant connect to the FTP anymore, everything else on my network is fine (including the other wireless devices).

I tried hooking up ethernet and tried that and it was fine so its defiantly only happening over wireless.

Drefsab

• Archived User
Ftp Dies Over Wifi
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:58:00 AM »

I hope thats not the case because that makes this £60 wireless dongle I just bought useless sad.gif The reason I bought it is I cant run ethernet to where the 360 is, so im ether taking my laptop over to the box and connecting it up on a temp basis or moving the 360 every time I need to alter some files.

Plus if it was just a case of dropped packets why does the FTP service itself stop responding to the wireless. To test though I just tried hooking my laptop up with Ethernet directly to the 360 and ftp'ed files from my network (wirelessly) and it worked fine. If the 360 can't handle a couple of hundred meg of files being moved thats poor indeed.

Drefsab

• Archived User
Ftp Dies Over Wifi
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »

I don't get a time out its just stops then the ftp client tries to reconnect but the FTP is dead I have to quit ether XeXmenu or Freestyle dash and load it back to get the FTP back. Also when this happens pining the xbox IP gives a destination net unreachable (instead of no reply from host).

The router I use is an N (I have tried several routers that I had going spare). The odd thing is I can download far more data using the N dongle (say if I copy/stream HD films) absolutely fine.

Downloading using the same dongle to my other xbox from live goes fine as well, im wondering if the issues are related to the way FTP server on the homebrew handles the N dongle.

Drefsab

• Archived User
Ftp Dies Over Wifi
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »

Tried filezilla, ws_ftp and flashfxp

Drefsab

• Archived User
Ftp Dies Over Wifi
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 03:44:00 AM »

Yup this is exactly whats gotten me I've tried altering the MTU packet size's, even packet sniffing looking for any retransmitted packets but im not seeing anything. Its just a case of things plodding along happy and then bang the FTP deamon bomb's. Im going to see if I can get ahold of a non N dongle and try it again.

Drefsab

• Archived User
Ftp Dies Over Wifi
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »

Right well I have gotten it sorted, my wireless N dongle was naffed, tried a standard dongle no problem, so got a friend to try mine same problem, so I tried his N dongle and it worked, simple enough new dongle and now I have no problems biggrin.gif