xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Memory Card Repair  (Read 207 times)

kozanatos

• Archived User
Xbox Memory Card Repair
« on: December 21, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(kozanatos @ Dec 21 2009, 06:08 PM) View Post

http://img530.images...p10205764kp.jpg
Not my pictures but...
^ thats what it looks like sort of, except i only messed up one pin on the pcb.

Can i repair that?
I dont understand this sort of pcb board
Is there sort of an inner layer or something? how come there is no traces going all over?

Anyway. I was trying to adapt a usb dongle to my memory card. had it soldered in and plugged it in to the xbox to make sure it worked.. it didnt. so i unsoldered the dongle and now it doesnt work at all.
So its either that or i fried the 'sensative chips' all these little things contain i guess...
If you know what your talking about please help.

Im just mad because i lost a few things i forgot to backup... of course..

what i was doing: http://www.game-tuts...ght=memory unit

(can't find the edit post for some reason...)

Well as of now I am going to solder JUST the usb onto the chip and see if i can get my pc to read it according to the above link >_<
Ill post back my results

//edit2
Okay so I'm a little happy now because i think its not my fault, not 100% sure but for real, this soldering iron is a Piece... 25w but it does nothing. We'll see after it cools down, the tip might be loose.

Syn201

• Archived User
Xbox Memory Card Repair
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4cecb9452a

buy that hell of alot easier and a lot better for your memory card

kozanatos

• Archived User
Xbox Memory Card Repair
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(crash_2012 @ Dec 22 2009, 02:32 PM) View Post

if its one of the data lines, you can use a wire from the connector to one of those small resistors near it.  i had my memory card in my console, with no shell on the console, and the whole console fell forward, bent the plug backwards, and lifted one of the data pins.  there are a few traces, but theyre not all that visable.

I love you!
But i cant tell where it comes from!!
This pcb is like small, and i am inexperienced so i cant find the source, but yes it is the data+ i think!

Yeah i might just get the transfer kit.... and a new memory card

crash_2012

• Archived User
Xbox Memory Card Repair
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »

alright, u might be in business.  check the bottom of the trace on the memory card board.  There should be a little trace, very very short trace that goes to one of the small solder points right below them.

by top of bottom of the card, look at the oritentation of the card that is in the site you posted with the tutorial.  good luck, i threw my controller so hard when my memory card didnt work right away, i almost broke the controller.

kozanatos

• Archived User
Xbox Memory Card Repair
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(crash_2012 @ Dec 22 2009, 11:05 PM) View Post

alright, u might be in business.  check the bottom of the trace on the memory card board.  There should be a little trace, very very short trace that goes to one of the small solder points right below them.

by top of bottom of the card, look at the oritentation of the card that is in the site you posted with the tutorial.  good luck, i threw my controller so hard when my memory card didnt work right away, i almost broke the controller.

Thanks!
I have a friend thats going to help me now too. If we can't get this one working ill just buy a new one and mod it with my friend. He does this stuff for a living so i dont think he could do it wrong xD
Ill report back!

crash_2012

• Archived User
Xbox Memory Card Repair
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »

if you cant fix it, would you be interested in selling it to me??  im actually just looking for the shell and the plug that goes into the console.  dont really care much about the circuit board inside.  just need the plug with all the pins on in.

kozanatos

• Archived User
Xbox Memory Card Repair
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(crash_2012 @ Dec 25 2009, 02:21 PM) View Post

if you cant fix it, would you be interested in selling it to me??  im actually just looking for the shell and the plug that goes into the console.  dont really care much about the circuit board inside.  just need the plug with all the pins on in.

Possibly, will try to fix it tomorrow ( FRIDAY  Jan 1st )

I Have some help smile.gif
I KNOW IT LOOKS BAD BUT IT WILL BE FIXED <3 <3

You are allowed one post to say how bad of a job i did, but that is okay =[

IPB Image

crash_2012

• Archived User
Xbox Memory Card Repair
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »

oh yea, looks fixable, i think thats the same same one that got lifted off mine.  simplest thing to do would be to use a solder wick and take off the solder from the pads that are there, then put the connector on, solder it down, then run a wire from the pin where the pad is gone to one of those little solder points directly under it.  i think it would need to be the one on the right.  see if you can clean up the back of the board and see if you can find the trace.  good luck with it.

matt30377

• Archived User
Xbox Memory Card Repair
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »

Jesus what did you use? a blowtorch?

:-)

Matt

crash_2012

• Archived User
Xbox Memory Card Repair
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 05:07:00 AM »

suprising enough, thats how the board will look when a trace is lifted.  mine was just ripped off(no heat or solder), and it looked the same.

it does kinda look that way tho. lol

kozanatos

• Archived User
Xbox Memory Card Repair
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(crash_2012 @ Jan 2 2010, 06:07 AM) View Post

suprising enough, thats how the board will look when a trace is lifted.  mine was just ripped off(no heat or solder), and it looked the same.

it does kinda look that way tho. lol

Okay I figured it out.
Well i ended up getting a new memory card, and did that one correctly smile.gif
but I WAS USING PLUMBERS SOLDER! No wonder why I couldnt run the solder to the wire, because its too thick for my iron to melt it, its still like 60/40 so it had flux in it, but its for copper. Anyway I know somebody in the business of electronics and i had him do it and show me how to do it. He was pretty good and very careful :thumbsup:

So yeah now i have it. Still trying to figure out this game save stuff though
I have a few games on my profile i want to clean up.
I have mostly 1k/1k or 200/200 on my games so i wanted to clean up some games that are annoying
Such as TenchuZ where i beat the game on  hard, but you dont get the achievements for beating it on easy/medium So i wanted to glitch that save with a full thousand smile.gif
Thanks for your help. I will mess with the old one later, i still need small electronics solder and some wick to get rid of all the old solder. I forgot about solder wick. My friend recommended being super careful with wick. You obviously want to heat the solder and wick it up, do not heat the wick over the solder or something like that because it can get Very hot and burn components etc.
//EDIT//
Do you guys know where the Data+ pin comes from? can i run a wire directly to where it comes from? Like is it coming out of a pin from the eeprom? I was not able to find any info where it traces to on the board, because i wanted to bypass it and i couldn't =[