xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Avoid Live Connection, But Allow Internet Connectivity  (Read 497 times)

swejac

• Archived User
Avoid Live Connection, But Allow Internet Connectivity
« on: November 14, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »

My box is flagged for banning (confirmed over phone), but since I haven't allowed it to connect to Live, the box is still fully functionable.

I still want to use the box as mediacenter, I also want the box to be able to connect to internet for browsing, and watching online video etc.

Here's my question:
How can I allow the box to use internet but avoid it getting banned?

My ideas are:
-Removing the account with Live connection
-Blocking Xbox Live's ports in the firewall, except for port 80 then

Can anyone confirm if my ideas are right, will the box connect even if there are no Live account details?

Thanks

ilscuro

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »

You can still stream from your pc to a banned console, i tried a few different programs, but the one that worked for me was PS3 media server(yes it works with 360).

As for your other question, all i can say is i think you have to make the live connection to do all the things you want to do, and making that connection will get you banned if, as you say, you've already been flagged.

I could be wrong though smile.gif

totallyspies

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 01:54:00 AM »

System Settings -> Family Settings -> Console Controls -> XBox LIVE Access

My banned console, even after connecting had no problem continuing to function as I wanted it to as a media center, but with the buzz, I disabled my LIVE connection this way also.

swejac

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 06:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(ilscuro @ Nov 17 2009, 09:35 PM) View Post

You can still stream from your pc to a banned console, i tried a few different programs, but the one that worked for me was PS3 media server(yes it works with 360).

As for your other question, all i can say is i think you have to make the live connection to do all the things you want to do, and making that connection will get you banned if, as you say, you've already been flagged.

I could be wrong though smile.gif

So just to be clear, if my console gets aware of it's banned, then I will only loose Live functionality?

What I do today is using the media extender functionlity to see streamed TV from internet, as well as view pictures and movies stored locally. So this should still work if the console is banned?

And simply removing the Live details, and disabling Live in family settings, should prevent the box to connect to live?

me2611

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »

System Settings -> Family Settings -> Console Controls -> XBox LIVE Access

Thats all i did, And have been fine since when playing system link and streaming movies.

jekbu

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 01:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(swejac @ Nov 14 2009, 11:32 PM) View Post

I still want to use the box as mediacenter, I also want the box to be able to connect to internet for browsing, and watching online video etc.

is that possible without connecting to LIVE?

or do you mean that you have a pc/laptop connected to the same network that does all that?

if it's the latter, just remove the gateway settings on you xbox.

Frog_Racer

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »

I know that some routers have the capability of blocking xbox live access.

kingpickle

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »

I'm pretty much in the same boat with one of my boxes (i didnt confirm I was flagged i'm just assuming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ). What I did was use my routers access restriction policy to keep the xbox's mac off of the internet entirely. Simple and effective.

craz3d

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(kingpickle @ Jan 2 2010, 08:42 PM) View Post

I'm pretty much in the same boat with one of my boxes (i didnt confirm I was flagged i'm just assuming smile.gif ). What I did was use my routers access restriction policy to keep the xbox's mac off of the internet entirely. Simple and effective.

This.  It is also known as "MAC Filtering" by some router configuration pages.  I believe you can get the MAC address of your XBOX360 by going into the Network Test module.  It should be of the form 00-25-AE-XX-XX-XX where the X's are values from 0-9 or A-F

crash_2012

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »

wouldnt blocking the consoles mac address also block it from the network and from accessing any computers??

craz3d

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(crash_2012 @ Jan 5 2010, 10:59 PM) View Post

wouldnt blocking the consoles mac address also block it from the network and from accessing any computers??

You're not blocking it from the network, it just can't receive an internet connection.

kingpickle

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »

Mac filtering under router control panels is part of the wireless settings (for blocking unwanted wifi users). Do not use this to block your 360 from the internet (it will not work on lan ports so your 360 will go right online and take the ban if you use this). Access Restrictions is the tab I used to block mine from internet access only (ie I can still stream media to it while it can not go on live).

craz3d

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »

Ah yes, I can't edit my above post, but MAC Filtering is in fact a different tool from Access Restrictions.

Guy Montag

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »

I use the dd-wrt firmware in my router and I just blocked my Xbox 360's MAC address from accessing the internet.  It still streams from my PC flawlessly and I don't have to worry about it connecting to live on accident.

kingpickle

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(Guy Montag @ Jan 12 2010, 04:46 PM) View Post

I use the dd-wrt firmware in my router and I just blocked my Xbox 360's MAC address from accessing the internet.  It still streams from my PC flawlessly and I don't have to worry about it connecting to live on accident.

+1 for dd-wrt. Here's to hoping a front end for kaid gets created for the 360 beerchug.gif
Pages: [1] 2