xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: System Link Issues - Using Network Bridge  (Read 167 times)

ghettoc401

• Archived User
System Link Issues - Using Network Bridge
« on: August 01, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »

First off, let me say that I know how to use ICS, and it does work for me, but it doesn't quite do what I would like it to.

Now, with that out the way, here is my situation / problem. I have two xbox360's that I want to use system link with. One is upstairs, and connected to a Linksys WRT54G router using DD-WRT and the second is connected to my Vista HTPC using a network bridge. My internet flowchart is below:

DSL Modem -> Netgear Router ->  WRT54G -> Xbox360 #1
DSL Modem -> Netgear Router -> HTPC (wifi connection) -> Xbox360 #2

To further explain why I cant use ICS, it's because it does not give the Xbox360 an IP in the same range as your normal computer, when I do system link, the xbox'es are not able to see each other. Example, my Netgear router uses the 10.x.x.x network set, and when I use ICS, my HTPC assigns the Xbox an IP of 192.x.x.x, so the xbox's can't see each other locally and only over xbox live. When using bridge, my HTPC assigns the xbox an IP of 10.x.x.x and the xbox's can see each other.

The big issue is that when using bridge, the xbox's can see each other, but I see two games hosted by the same gamertag, and I can't join either one. For example, I'm refresh the match list in Gears of War, and I see that my gamer tag Ghettoc401 is hosting two Execution matches on Gridlock, both with the same round duration and time limit, but when trying to join the game (either one), I receive an error that the match cannot be joined. I can host an Xbox Live private match (either using ICS or bridge) and both xbox's can play together that way, but that means I'd have to buy another gold account just to use system link.

Does anyone have any suggestions? All help is welcomed, thanks   biggrin.gif