xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox360 - Dlink Di524 Wireless To Dlink Dir-655 - Computer... Possible  (Read 92 times)

The1Falcon

• Archived User

Hi everyone,

Ok here's the question...

I have an Xbox360 that I'd like to avoid having to buy the $100+ Microsoft proprietary wireless adapter. I have an old D-Link DI524 which is apparently compatible with the Xbox 360.

My current computer is in another room and is wired to a D-Link DIR-655.

Is there a way to have the Xbox ethernet wire connected to the DI-524 and have that router talk wirelessly to the DIR-655 and join the rest of the network?

I've never attempted hooking router to router wirelessly before and can't think of a way to do it other than having a wireless nic in one of the computers and bridging the connections to the internet and the rest of the network that way.

So any solutions would be welcome. Do I need any extra hardware or should it be possible with the components I have already?

Protolisk

• Archived User
Xbox360 - Dlink Di524 Wireless To Dlink Dir-655 - Computer... Possible
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »

Yeah I'm pretty sure its possible but I'm not sure how you do it. I was thinking of getting 2 Netgear WGR614 and using them but I'm seeing if it would be better value to get one router and one of those things that you put into the powerpoint and you use ethernet cables from it AND I wanted to know if a Netgear usb wireless adaptor works on the xbox. PHEW Long sentence.

The1Falcon

• Archived User
Xbox360 - Dlink Di524 Wireless To Dlink Dir-655 - Computer... Possible
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(Protolisk @ Jan 13 2008, 07:41 AM) View Post

Yeah I'm pretty sure its possible but I'm not sure how you do it. I was thinking of getting 2 Netgear WGR614 and using them but I'm seeing if it would be better value to get one router and one of those things that you put into the powerpoint and you use ethernet cables from it AND I wanted to know if a Netgear usb wireless adaptor works on the xbox. PHEW Long sentence.

After much research looks like it's possible but not really feasible. There's a linksys router WRT54G that can be flashed with an third party software to make it act as a wireless bridge. Haven't found anything to make the Di524 act the same way. So looks like I'll just have to give in and buy the xbox 360 wireless adapter. sad.gif Probably the best, easiest, and safest route in the end.