xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Orginal Xbox And 360 Wont Go Online Togther  (Read 118 times)

bassquake

• Archived User
Orginal Xbox And 360 Wont Go Online Togther
« on: May 31, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »

Hey all,

This is my first post so be gentle...

Im trying to get my 2 xboxes onto the network. I have a wireless router and a belkin wireless bridge connected to a belkin switch which the xbox'es are attached to. (See pic).

(IMG:http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8506/mynetworksetupcopyro9.jpg)

For some reason, it'll only let one xbox go online, if I want the other to connect I have to reboot the bridge and let the xbox find the settings and itll work but the other one loses connection and settings.

Any help much appreciated.

rabbitstroker

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 06:29:00 AM »

I take it your using the same xboxlive account for both boxes?? If so then you can only sign into live with 1 account for 1 box, you will need 2 live accounts .

raufemann

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »

Set IP manually, the DNS on consoles need to be the router IP ...

bassquake

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »

Hey guys.

Thanks for the replies but I did manage to get it working finally! It came to me when I wasnt even thinking about it!

For all those interested. What I did was:
  1. Boot the gaming adapter (bridge) and the 360. Do a network check to make sure it can connect to xbox live.
  2. Then boot xbox, the key is to set the alternate MAC address to the same as the 360!
  3. Connect to test and it should work!
  4. All of them are set to Automatically find IP and DNS.

They can now both go online at the same time! Though I havent logged into live on the xbox as I havent filled in all the details yet, they both pass the network checks while both on.

I dont know if theres a disadvantage in using the same MAC address, hopefully someone can shed light on it.

So if a modded xbox was detected on LIVE, as its using the same MAC address, would it ban the unmodded 360 as well?

Not that Im saying i have a modded xbox wink.gif

Cheers.

bassquake

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »

ps. also seems to work if you set both consoles alternative MAC address to the gaming adapter bridge MAC address. Just thought Id post the latest find.  wink.gif

foogrrr

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »

the reason you need to configure the mac addresses to match the 360 one is because you have both xbox's under the same router.  Xbox live uses port 3074 (im pretty sure? cant remember which one).  Becuase of the way Layer 2 routing works that port is opened and all data comming to that port is forwarded via MAC address, Not IP address (that is layer 3 routing).  

By setting the Mac address the same on both consoles, i can guarentee that you are recieving xbox1 packets on your 360 and vise versa.

Not that this is a horrible thing, the only disadvantage to this is the overhead required by the router/xbox's.

just thought you might like to know why it did work.

cheers