xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: A Valid Wireless Bridge Question  (Read 82 times)

RtnlSltn

• Archived User
A Valid Wireless Bridge Question
« on: January 27, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »

I searched for atleast 30 minutes on old forum topics, and people keep avoiding the question: Will any wireless bridge work as a wireless connection for an Xbox360. All technicality points to yes, as all the 360 sees is an IP coming in, and it's happy. The only issue i would see is the DHCP settings, etc, etc. But as long as the settings are equal between the router and the bridge, all should work, correct? The issue i'm seeing is that many people are trying to go with the USB option, which involves drivers. A wireless bridge can be found on newegg for $30.

Someone please answer!

greenday54261

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »

Define 'avoiding the question'. I respond very matter-of-factly whenever I see one of these.

You cannot use a USB bridge on your 360. There are no drivers for it.

However, you CAN use any ethernet-connected wireless bridge, such as the theoretical $30 one you describe. You will most likely need to connect it to a computer or the router first in order to configure it for your wireless security, but once that is completed you may hook it to your 360 and play.

I'm not quite sure who you've seen avoiding this question.

cwegga

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »

I don't think people have been avoiding the question. I try to answer this stuff clearly too.

Like said above. USB products won't work, only the Microsoft one works via USB. Other wireless bridges should work. But that all depends on what equipment you have. You might need an identical wireless bridge on each end of the connection.

For example, I use two Linksys WAP11Bs as a wireless bridge. They are actually access points but they have a bridge mode you can enable in their configuration. The problem with them is they will only work with another WAP11B They won't even connect to a WAP54G or other Linksys gear, so research compatibility before you end up needing two $30 bridges instead of just one.