xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 2 X Nic, And Ftp Flowing The Looong Way Round - Need Help!  (Read 104 times)

robgoldt

• Archived User
2 X Nic, And Ftp Flowing The Looong Way Round - Need Help!
« on: December 21, 2006, 09:48:00 AM »

don't know if anyone can help with this but my problem is as follows:

i have recently made a home network which incorporates my xbox, 360 and pc.
the xbox and pc are right next to each other, and are both connected to the same ethernet switch.

however when i ftp into the xbox and transfer a file, rather than the full 100mbit i used to get when i plugged it into the pc direct, i get about 2-3mbit tops.

the reason for this (which the flashing lights on the devices give away really) is that rather than the data flowing in the logical path of PC - SWITCH - XBOX and giving me the nice speed, it is in fact taking this less-than-ideal path:
PC - SWITCH - 802.11b BRIDGE - 802.11g MODEM/ROUTER - 802.11b BRIDGE - SWITCH - XBOX

and also - when i tried to unplug the BRIDGE and hopefully force the pc to transfer to xbox directly, the result was that the ip address was no longer seen by the pc!

i have never had 2 nic before- in the past i have jsut used usb adsl modem.

i have got all the relevant diagrams, details of my network laid out on http://www.rjg.almostmy.com/net which i am crossing things out when they are resolved/i have got round to testing them.

chances are the solution is incredibly easy and i will kick myself!

help or comments would be greatly appreciated on this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

ps the reason for the bridge is to allow xbox live play while the pc's turned off

This post has been edited by robgoldt: Dec 21 2006, 05:55 PM

Navillos

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »

ok well this works. modem->router->PC&XBOX&360.  all plugged into the same router.  i dnot think you need all those components, you dont want the internet to go in the pc first. internet to router and let the router distribute the ip addresses. does your router have a built in switch?

This post has been edited by Navillos: Dec 21 2006, 09:49 PM

cwegga

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 10:54:00 PM »

Don't listen to the guy above. The problem is your IP address on the xbox. Change it to be in the same 192.168.1.x network as your pc and it will go through the switch only. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Basically if you look at the subnet masks on your devices they will be 255.255.255.0. If you line up the IP address with the subnet mask vertically you can see how they work. Every part of the IP that is above a 255 is the NETWORK part of the IP address. The part above the 0 is the part of the IP that identifies the individual machine. Only routers can communicate between different networks. Since your PC is on the 192.168.1.x network and your xbox is on the 192.168.0.x network, everything that goes in between them needs to go through the router. Anyway that is a very simplified/generalized explanation but should convey the basic concepts of why it doesn't work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleeping.gif)

Nice diagram by the way. It was great that it had all the details needed, not just some boxes and lines. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by cwegga: Dec 22 2006, 06:55 AM

cwegga

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 01:39:00 AM »

Ok, I just read your post on the other site. It should work how you have it set up now. But try setting the xbox back at it's original IP and disable your Wireless NIC instead of unplugging the bridge. Windows is not the best at knowing which interface to send data through when it has multiple enable connections. You might want to see what happens if you bridge the connections or try and find some appropriate setting.

Why don't you just take out the bridge and use internet connection sharing on your pc to get internet to your xbox and 360? since the PC is G and the bridge is only B it should give you a little better connection and you already have it wired up that way anyway.

This post has been edited by cwegga: Dec 22 2006, 09:41 AM

robgoldt

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 05:11:00 PM »

appreciate the help/suggestion, i have made a few developments (mainly taking out the wireless card). had it all perfect in original layout (xbox unleashx was set to 192.168.0.1 to let me in the ftp - but xbmc was set to 192.168.1.1 and had net access thru the router.

but had a couple of bluescreens on the pc so decided wireless card is getting sold, i hate windows and the less i have to trust it to do the better.

the bridge is there so i can go on xbox live with the pc turned off (its noisy) so ics out of the question. all is good now, managed to get triple speed on the internet (3mb but only paying for 1) its amazing what persistently trying to move business elsewhere can do to your speed. thanks entanet! bridge handles it ok, if i ever get adsl2+ at full 24mbit speed i will celebrate by buying a .11g bridge but happy with setup for meantime!

proper explanation on http://rjg.almostmy.com/net of what i just said (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by robgoldt: Dec 23 2006, 01:13 AM

robgoldt

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 11:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(robgoldt @ Dec 22 2006, 11:42 PM) View Post

(xbox unleashx was set to 192.168.0.1 to let me in the ftp - but xbmc was set to 192.168.1.1 and had net access thru the router.

d'oh i of course meant .0.5 and .1.5 !