xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wireless Help Please?  (Read 78 times)

Chivalry

• Archived User
Wireless Help Please?
« on: December 12, 2006, 01:09:00 PM »

Hi...  was hoping someone could shaed some light on a little problem.. smile.gif

Just bought a Zoom game point wireless gaming adaptor to connect my new 360 up to my Wireless router..
Its the first time ive actualy turned my wirless on and have no protection atm..  nothing,, so im trying to work out hows the best way to set up some protection so only my xbox can connect..

A friend said that allowing only specific MAC codes onto the network is the best way,,  but first .. i cant find anywhere on my Xbox that tells me its MAC code.. and secondly.. because its connected through the gaming adaptor... will that have its own MAC code i should use instead of the xboxs?
thnx for any help... smile.gif

cwegga

• Archived User
Wireless Help Please?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 03:20:00 AM »

To find the 360's MAC go to the System blade->Network settings->Edit Settings, Select the tab on the right labeled Additional Settings, then Select the second option called Advanced Settings. (now slap Microsoft for having so many levels of settings) The MAC will be the 12 digit alpha-numeric displayed in the lower left quadrant of the screen.

Now that that's out of the way, you probably won't need to use the 360's MAC. Most likely the MAC of the wireless adapter will be what the router sees. Make sure your 360 is turned on and the adapter is connected. Get into your router's settings and there should be an option somewhere to see currently connected users. The only connected wireless user should be you. Write down the MAC address from the current users list and put that in the MAC filtering allow list. Your wireless adapter should now be the only wireless device that can connect to your router. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

jameswalter

• Archived User
Wireless Help Please?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 02:31:00 PM »

Don't use MAC filtering.  A MAC can easily be spoofed.  Use WPA encryption (not WEP which can easily be broken).

cwegga

• Archived User
Wireless Help Please?
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 11:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(jameswalter @ Dec 22 2006, 01:02 PM) View Post

Don't use MAC filtering.  A MAC can easily be spoofed.  Use WPA encryption (not WEP which can easily be broken).

I just figure that if someone cares enough to bother with MAC spoofing they will get through any normal security available anyway. So I just stick with MAC filtering because it's easier to just add someone's MAC to my router than try and tell them an SSID and WPA key.