xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wireless Question  (Read 105 times)

Heed316

• Archived User
Wireless Question
« on: January 01, 2006, 11:33:00 PM »

I have a question concerning wireless connectivity to an xbox...the whole idea i'm thinking of just sounds stupid to me, but i really have only a small amount of knowledge on networks - enough to setup a home network and share files but thats about it...my question is this:is it possible to use an exisiting wireless network with a wireless router- then to take a second router and make it into an access point, then to plug a ethernet cable from the router into the xbox and have it get a connection like that?...that is have the router receive the wireless signal and forward it into the xbox?...i don't believe this will work as in my previous expierences i had to hard wire a cable from the wireless router into the other router for it to be an access point

i.e. modem ---> wireless router ---> router as access point receiving signal ---> ethernet into xbox

if this is just stupid tell me(which i'm pretty sure it is)...also if there is any way to get a wireless signal to the xbox without having to buy a special 100$ adaptor for it let me know too...thank you

Liquidvlade Hiraduo

• Archived User
Wireless Question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 12:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heed316 @ Jan 2 2006, 07:40 AM) View Post

also if there is any way to get a wireless signal to the xbox without having to buy a special 100$ adaptor for it let me know too...thank you

I am not 100% sure but I am almost positive that you require the adapter.

str8lazy

• Archived User
Wireless Question
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 02:17:00 PM »

more than likely, you will need an adapter. You should try out what you are saying though. I would be interested in that if it worked.

deadparrot

• Archived User
Wireless Question
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »

What you want is a Wireless Ethernet Bridge.  It does the job of the second router you talked about.

Heed316

• Archived User
Wireless Question
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 12:28:00 AM »

I actually broke down and drilled a hole through two walls to get a wired connection for the xbox as I believe that is best(just didn't want to have to deal with drilling holes but oh well)...but I'm going to test the router method soon, as my brother is in possesion of the other router - going to get the router from him next time  I see him...

but what is interesting is this website http://www.sveasoft.com/

turns out that they got possesion of the source code for a linksys router due to some open source thing(somehting like the linksys router is run on linux code, and since linux is opensource linksys had to release the code)...but they made their own firmware which "is a replacement firmware upgrade for Linksys WRT54G, WRT54GL, and WRT54GS, the Buffalotech WBR2-G54, and the Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless routers. Our firmware adds dozens of sophisticated features to these sub-$100 routers turning them into the equivalent of products costing hundreds or thousands of dollars. Support for several more router models from Buffalotech, Belkin, ASUS and other manufacturers is under development."

I have that belkin router, so once I get that back I'm going to test that firmware out...also got an old linksys one that I'm going to test out with the other method too...interesting site there though if you have that linksys router

Gio09

• Archived User
Wireless Question
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 01:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heed316 @ Jan 2 2006, 07:40 AM) View Post

I have a question concerning wireless connectivity to an xbox...the whole idea i'm thinking of just sounds stupid to me, but i really have only a small amount of knowledge on networks - enough to setup a home network and share files but thats about it...my question is this:is it possible to use an exisiting wireless network with a wireless router- then to take a second router and make it into an access point, then to plug a ethernet cable from the router into the xbox and have it get a connection like that?...that is have the router receive the wireless signal and forward it into the xbox?...i don't believe this will work as in my previous expierences i had to hard wire a cable from the wireless router into the other router for it to be an access point

i.e. modem ---> wireless router ---> router as access point receiving signal ---> ethernet into xbox
if this is just stupid tell me(which i'm pretty sure it is)...also if there is any way to get a wireless signal to the xbox without having to buy a special 100$ adaptor for it let me know too...thank you

I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my MS MN 700 Wireless 802.11 G Router. I would get another(from ebay smile.gif) and turn one into an access point to connect my xbox and xbox360.

Let me know if this works for you Heed316.