xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Usb Idea  (Read 166 times)

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
Usb Idea
« on: January 01, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »

I posted this in the general X360 forums, but there was no answer either way.

I haven't been able to get Windows Media Connect to work with my setup.  I'm looking for a way around this.  I can make a male-male USB cable.  Is it possible to get a folder on my PC to function as a USB flash device?  Then I could use "USB Networking" to share my files.  Any insight?

Winberg

• Archived User
Usb Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »

i think its possible if you have your harddrive partitioned right and do some hacking on your pc.

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
Usb Idea
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »

I will hack my PC and partition a hard drive if I can, I just need to know what direction to go to do this.  If I can get it working, I will produce a tutorial so that others can do this as well.

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
Usb Idea
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »

I don't want to crack it using USB, I just want to network it.

Would this work? http://www.thinkgeek...c/7f0c/?cpg=25H

IPB Image

torne

• Archived User
Usb Idea
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 09:49:00 AM »

Nope, that thing is a USB network device. i.e. it's *two* usb devices, one plugged into each computer, that are just connected together via a long cable. The Xbox doesn't know how to use the device so it won't do anything.

You can't turn a PC into a USB memory device because it's not possible to get a normal PC USB controller (UHCI/OHCI/EHCI) to act as a USB target, even if you change the drivers..etc. It only works as a USB host. USB is just plain not symmetrical - the chip at each end has to do a different job and they are not interchangable.

You'd need a device with a USB target chip (or USB OnTheGo, which is a single chip that acts as both, though not at the same time) such as a PDA or cellphone, rather than a regular PC.

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
Usb Idea
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 12:31:00 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  That answers my question.   wink.gif