xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Usb Port On 360 Controller?  (Read 235 times)

OpticNurv

• Archived User
Usb Port On 360 Controller?
« on: December 29, 2005, 11:23:00 AM »

if you look at the headset's 2 little plastic tabs to keep the headset in place you'll notice nothing, just 2 little plastic tabs, but if you look at the controller where the headset plugs in you'll notice 2 pinouts for both sides where the tabs plug in, havent done too much experimenting but maybe someone with a volt reader and soldered usb pins could take a look at it....

Liquidvlade Hiraduo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 12:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(OpticNurv @ Dec 29 2005, 06:54 PM) View Post

if you look at the headset's 2 little plastic tabs to keep the headset in place you'll notice nothing, just 2 little plastic tabs, but if you look at the controller where the headset plugs in you'll notice 2 pinouts for both sides where the tabs plug in, havent done too much experimenting but maybe someone with a volt reader and soldered usb pins could take a look at it....

There are already people that took apart X360 controllers and they never reported anything, so I would say that they don't.

ssj4android

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 05:52:00 PM »

It's some sort of data connection. Maybe not USB, as they'd need to transfer the data wirelessly. BUt they showed some keyboard thing that would plug into those ports a while ago.

Dezro

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 10:49:00 AM »

I think it's USB. First of all, there's USB all over the machine, it'd be easy to use that instead of making something new. Second, if it's USB then the wired controllers will be able to have less hardware, I think. Third, USB leaves MS's options open.

Anyway, there's a good chance that the pins are 4321. I tested voltage and got +3v I think, but I really really suck at hardware. There's no way in hell I'm going to subject my controller to my abysmal soldering skill just to test this out. I do have an extra headset, though, so I may try to put the missing pins in there. I dunno.

OpticNurv

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 11:13:00 AM »

it just seemed logical to me, if it isnt, oh well atleast someone tried it

Dezro

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »

Results:

Neither of the keyboards I tried worked. Swapping pins didn't help, but swapping the ones I thought were ground and + made the ring of light dance an error message, which I guess verifies that it's (from left to right) Ground, ?, ?, +3v.

So, either it's not USB (which I still think is unlikely), it's USB but anything hooked to the controller needs the chip, or (bet on this one:) it's USB but since I suck at hardware I couldn't get it to work.

Note that I only have wireless controllers. If I had a wired one, the obvious experiment would be to plug it into my computer, then plug various wireless devices into it to see if they get recognised by my Mac. That would allow me to see if it's something to do with that chip or not.

thesaelens

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »

I remember reading in xbox magazine (Rumor Mole section) that MS was developing a Wireless Headset for the 360. Im assuming the pinouts are for that.

mrbelvedere

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 12:12:00 AM »

I don't see how it could be USB.  USB has +5v and GRND and the data pins.  The wireless controller doesn't have 5v....

This post has been edited by mrbelvedere: Feb 4 2006, 08:13 AM

deadparrot

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 08:39:00 AM »

The memory units are USB, but they run from 3.3v.  Just one way of MS only allowing the use of their own stuff, not giving enough power for standard stuff.

cpi

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »

Check out the Free60.org website they describe the pinout for the controllers there. According to MS controller datasheet the data pins are UART.
I'll try to find the link to the datasheet on MS website and post it later.

Icantfindanick

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 04:53:00 AM »

I'm bumping this because I would like to know the pinouts of the frontal connector that only the wireless controller has (7 pins) and the pinout of the battery pack (6 pins). If anyone know where to find this info I'll appreciate it.

Steve-0

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 05:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(deadparrot @ Feb 4 2006, 04:10 PM) View Post

The memory units are USB, but they run from 3.3v.  Just one way of MS only allowing the use of their own stuff, not giving enough power for standard stuff.

3.3 yes but is perfect for doing other things, like adding a phone charger, or other cool stuff hastle free.

IPB Image

IPB Image

i got a spare pad im working on so i will try adding a female usb port on it, im guessing that this whole topic was about a wired pad yes?

Steve-0

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 07:33:00 AM »

ok i just cracked open my pad and tryed a basic usb female to the points where the wired pads usb connects
here are the results

the 360 recognised the pad and it was fully functional, but when i plugged in mt usb mem stick the pad shutdown no lights or nothing BUT it was still registered on the 360's ring of light as pad 2, i used my wirless pad to navigate (connected as pad1) and there was nothing in the media blade

i then tryed it in my pc and same thing, so my conclusion is that any M$ product that has that super chip cant be altered apart from the lights and adding buttons, BUT i got a 4 port usb hub that works when plugged in to the 360 i had 3 pads and my mem stick all plugged in to it and the 360 saw them all.

and my PC LINE wireless keyboard works i tryed the mouse on oblivion but it didnt work, you can only enter text by the dash blade that pops up it doesnt work for in game situations.

celicagt1993

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 07:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(Steve-0 @ Apr 9 2006, 02:04 PM) View Post

ok i just cracked open my pad and tryed a basic usb female to the points where the wired pads usb connects
here are the results

the 360 recognised the pad and it was fully functional, but when i plugged in mt usb mem stick the pad shutdown no lights or nothing BUT it was still registered on the 360's ring of light as pad 2, i used my wirless pad to navigate (connected as pad1) and there was nothing in the media blade

i then tryed it in my pc and same thing, so my conclusion is that any M$ product that has that super chip cant be altered apart from the lights and adding buttons, BUT i got a 4 port usb hub that works when plugged in to the 360 i had 3 pads and my mem stick all plugged in to it and the 360 saw them all.

and my PC LINE wireless keyboard works i tryed the mouse on oblivion but it didnt work, you can only enter text by the dash blade that pops up it doesnt work for in game situations.

blink.gif  blink.gif  huh.gif  huh.gif  are you saying you attached a keyboard to the port on the bottom of the wireless controller where the headset plugs in and it worked? uhh.gif

Steve-0

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 09:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(celicagt1993 @ Apr 9 2006, 02:50 PM) View Post

blink.gif  blink.gif  huh.gif  huh.gif  are you saying you attached a keyboard to the port on the bottom of the wireless controller where the headset plugs in and it worked? uhh.gif

no i used a wired pad, the method i used was the same as the s type usb mod