xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Usb Flash Drive As Memory Unit  (Read 4126 times)

JoHnnyTK36

• Archived User
Usb Flash Drive As Memory Unit
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2005, 08:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(XBoxgeek @ Dec 31 2005, 07:58 AM) View Post

Nice work JoHnnyTK36. Now you have a mem card to USB does it work if you plug it into one of the front USB ports on the 360?

Just trying to figure out if the mem card ports are just USB but different connectors.

Didn't even think about that last night. tongue.gif  DUH

I will try that on my lunch break if i go home.

OpticNurv

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2005, 09:39:00 AM »

johnny, you need linux cvs with the capable XtaF support (can be found at free60)... well the filesystem's support atleast, but from what i assume, keep going with this and go get those files off of free60 and we might be going somewhere, but just to let you know, dont hook your 360 up to live, just in case of updates...

JoHnnyTK36

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2005, 10:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(OpticNurv @ Dec 31 2005, 10:46 AM) View Post

johnny, you need linux cvs with the capable XtaF support (can be found at free60)... well the filesystem's support atleast, but from what i assume, keep going with this and go get those files off of free60 and we might be going somewhere, but just to let you know, dont hook your 360 up to live, just in case of updates...

I have it connected to my satalite internet. So it's not that good for playing games, all i use it for is to see if my friends are online and downlaod demos.  I'll dissconect it when i get home.

If somebody can point me to any guides with how to get the linux stuff working i would be grateful. Imagine it or not i am lazy. blink.gif I also need to know what version of linux i need. I haven't used linux in years. I know shame on me but all the stuff i did for school was in windows so i used it so much and got less and less free time to mess with linux, so i just took it off.

JoHnnyTK36

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2005, 01:00:00 PM »

OK i tried pluging the memory card into the xbox's usb ports via my adapted usb cord. It did its little circle thing to find a drive but nothing came up. So no go there.

MaTiAz

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(JoHnnyTK36 @ Dec 31 2005, 10:07 PM) View Post

OK i tried pluging the memory card into the xbox's usb ports via my adapted usb cord. It did its little circle thing to find a drive but nothing came up. So no go there.

Hey, go get Hex Workshop, and then installit. Fire HW up and then goto Open->Open Drive. Then do a sectordump and upload it to eg. Xbins or somewhere, then give us a link and we'll check it together biggrin.gif

JoHnnyTK36

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »

Ok i did the sector dump. I got this error when i was opening the drive. IPB Image

You can get the dump here

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »

Sweet!  Good to see someone is still interested in this... haven't had money to blow on a card yet (Christmas presents for the wife and kids took most of it...) so haven't tried any of this myself.

A few suggestions... if you are able to read the file structure with the Linux tools, try uploading an original XBOX gamesave to the memcard... hell try it in windows after formatting and see what happens (probabley might need to be in a UDATA folder first... or maybe just in the numbered gamesave folder).  And probabley try a gamesave that is exploitable for shits and giggles.  Did you actually try putting data on the card after the successful format?  Like maybe a music track or something the 360 would recognize?  Or even just data that your PC would recognize?

thanks and good luck!

I might just have to go out and pick up a memcard now and fiddle with this...

JoHnnyTK36

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2006, 08:24:00 PM »

i put a music file on it but you can't play music from a memory card. The option is faded out.

Edit: does any oneknow a device that i can turn a knob or sometihng to output any volage i want. Like from 1v to atleast 24volts. I can't remeber the name of one i used to know of.

This post has been edited by JoHnnyTK36: Jan 2 2006, 05:08 AM

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2006, 08:32:00 PM »

Is that option still present without a music file on the card?  If it is not, then obviously the 360 can see the data uploaded from a computer... which means you might be able to experiment with Xbox 1 gamesaves placed in different folders...

This post has been edited by Rustmonkey: Jan 2 2006, 04:43 AM

Chris_F

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »

Ah, you dumped the flash drive after you formated it in windows so that's just a dump of a regular FAT32 usb thumb drive.

Stick it back in the xbox, have it format it, then try to get a dump.

HexWorkshop isn't going to be able to do the dump because windows doesn't support the FATX filesystem.

If you boot up any live distro of linux you should be able to just run "dd if=sda of=thumbdrive.bin" and get a 1:1 dump.

This post has been edited by Chris_F: Jan 2 2006, 04:48 AM

JoHnnyTK36

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rustmonkey @ Jan 1 2006, 09:39 PM) View Post

Is that option still present without a music file on the card?  If it is not, then obviously the 360 can see the data uploaded from a computer... which means you might be able to experiment with Xbox 1 gamesaves placed in different folders...

The option is not avialible at all. With or wiithout the music file on it.

After i format the card and put it back in the xbox it now says format, i have to format it in the xbox before i can use it again in the xbox. I dont remember that being there last night when i did the experiment the first time.

Edit: im downloading linux right now, so i hope to have the raw dump up in the hour.

Chris_F

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2006, 09:57:00 PM »

Sorry, make that:

dd if=/dev/sda of=thumbdrive.bin

that is, if sda is the name of the thumbdrive.

JoHnnyTK36

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2006, 11:44:00 PM »

Ok i see the memory card under usb devices, but i can not figure out how to mount it so i can grab the dump.

i am using a slax live cd version of linux.

HELP?

This post has been edited by JoHnnyTK36: Jan 2 2006, 07:46 AM

Chris_F

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2006, 12:00:00 AM »

no need to mount the device, even if you could. just use the dd command.

JoHnnyTK36

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2006, 06:26:00 AM »

Ok under system information it calls it "memory unit". So i typed

dd if=/dev/memory unit of=thumbdrive.bin

it says that

dd: unreconized option 'unit'

so i tried

dd if=/dev/memoryunit of=thumbdrive.bin

it says

dd: opening '/dev/memoryunit' : No such file or directory

i then tried

dd if=/dev/"memory unit" of=thumbdrive.bin and
dd if=/dev/'memory unit' of=thumbdrive.bin

both said

dd: opening '/dev/memory unit' : No such file or directory

any ideas?

i won't get to play with this till i get home from school this afternoon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18