xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can Pcsxbox Play Off Cds?  (Read 30 times)

devious_1

• Archived User
Can Pcsxbox Play Off Cds?
« on: August 03, 2004, 02:25:00 AM »

topic
some1 told me that i couldn't play off PSX cds...true?

ForkMan

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 03:07:00 AM »

i dunno but when i see questions like this i have ask why haven't you just tried it?  :D

i've only done it from iso's on the hard disc.

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 06:44:00 AM »

RTFM

bdisagree

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 12:53:00 PM »

How do we play a PSX game anyway? I rippd it to the HD used DVD2XBOX, but am not sure which file loads it?

Brian

What's the newest version of this program?

Diontae18

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 12:57:00 PM »

Look at the Pcsxbox help guide by Clicking Here

deathx88

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 01:17:00 PM »

again this is straight from xports site

Q: Why can't I put real PSX cds into my XBox DVDROM drive and have PCSXBox run them? I can do the same kind of thing with HUGO and NeoGenesis, so why not PCSXBox?
Can you make a tool that will rip my PSX cds onto my XBox?

A: PSX cds are completely different beasts than PCE CDs and SegaCDs. PSX cds are written with Mode2 XA sectors whereas the others are not. I have tried many different ways to read Mode2 XA sectors and the closest I got was getting the XBox to actually read the sectors, but at only 2.5KB per second. Considering that this is about 50x slower than a 1x CDROM drive, I think it's pretty obvious that gaming performance would be extremely poor. Please note that Mode2 XA is different than Mode2 Yellowbook (which is what VCDs are written with) - so XBMP's code is not a solution.

I'm aware that if you install linux on your XBox and then run a linux version of a PSX emulator that it can read PSX cds. I believe the problem lies somewhere in the XDK. Obviously there is a solution to the problem, but the specifics are elusive. I cannot answer "when" it will be solved because if I had enough information to tell you "when", then it would be finished by now already.

Furthermore, if I could write a tool that reads PSX cds and dump them to the HD, I would be able to make PCSXBox read PSX cds. If you want to wait 75 hours (650MB at 2.5KB/sec) for the XBox to rip/write your CD onto the HD, then I've got just what you need. I think it would be faster to rip it on your PC and then upload it to your XBox, though.....

its not hard to rip it on your computer, just use the guide that diontae18 left

devious_1

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 01:23:00 PM »

cool