xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Im New But I Have An Idea...  (Read 236 times)

krayzie

• Archived User
Im New But I Have An Idea...
« on: December 16, 2005, 11:53:00 PM »

and you actually think nobody thought of such things before? wow...

DigitalOSH

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 02:18:00 AM »

No need to be hard on the guy, its a great suggestion, especially if he knows nothing about it! Good work dude!

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 04:16:00 AM »

yeah great work but next time a little more research wouldn't hurt as this has been covered multiple times allready and it was quite useless to start another topic for it.

Staticvoid

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 04:18:00 AM »

even if you got the code to execute you wouldnt know what to use to gain any access.

MaTiAz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »

We could always try a WMA, as it can be used to launch anything. Make a WMA with DRM, and replace the address where the license should be obtained with something else (yes, I have tried it on Winamp 5 and WMP and it works, except it tries to open it through a web browser). So we could try to make it open a xex (something like the emulator update etc.). I'd try it but every 360 in here is sold out sad.gif So I'll have to wait smile.gif

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 05:13:00 PM »

i no on the orignal xbox that some guys managed to hack game saves allowing u to soft mod.

this was done with whats known as a buffer overflow attack

but what about trying to implemnt a code into an mp3 or a jpg...... something that the 360 can read of the bat and there is no problem isntalling them onto the hd......

what your suggesting is a buffer overflow....

Im not suggesting trying this again as OBVIOUSLY M$ have learnt from thier BIG mistakes lol.

...yeah...

zX_Storm

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 08:21:00 PM »

A buffer overflow attack is what was used in the initial hacking of PSPs to downgrade them to lower versions to use unsigned code. [Sony] learned very quickly how this work and fixed it. There was a quote out there from J Allard (or maybe major, one of the XBOX dudes) about how the security differences between the XBox and X360. The quote I remember was something like this: "When we made the XBox, we knew people would start to hack it and run illegal copies of games (oh but not homebrew, sigh). But we just thought we could deal with it as the time came, and we soon learned that it overran us. This time, we're not taking that side with the Xbox 360. We're going all out and making the Xbox 360 something the hacking community has never seen before. They will have to deal with things they've never encountered." Don't quote me on that, I can't find the article where that was said, but I distinctively remember that. It will be interesting what M$ is going to do once the first X360 bites the dust when a major group of hackers move to it. I mean come on, 9ghz of power is tempting for any hacker, especially if you can eventually run Linux on it wink.gif Imagine servers costing only $400 at 9ghz of power, computers will be obsolete, lol. I could see it now, a rackmount of X360's...

MaTiAz

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 01:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(smileboot @ Dec 18 2005, 11:18 AM) View Post

i dont know why but this sounds intresting.  how ever were u able to point it towards a local file on your HD? also did it work with media player (since im guessing that the codec/rules in the 360 is more or less the same as used in wmp 10)

cause if u can ill be willing to see if i can launch an already signed app on the 360 using it  probably just launch a game with it   hopefully it wont make my 360 blow up

all i need is the how to make my own wma with that   and where the hell to point it to

if nothing eles itll make me feel special  cool.gif

Well, the license obtain URL is simply a normal URL. As web pages are referred to with http://, I simply changed it to file://(path). It worked in Winamp and WMP. I always wondered why there always pops a IE window when I play a certain file, and then I investigated it. It should be able to open something (jpgs etc.) on Xbox 360 if we're lucky smile.gif

Edit: I'll try to find out if I have some of the files I worked with....

Apprentice modder

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 06:33:00 PM »

Thats an excellent idea, even if others thought of it.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 07:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(MaTiAz @ Dec 17 2005, 06:36 PM) View Post

We could always try a WMA, as it can be used to launch anything. Make a WMA with DRM, and replace the address where the license should be obtained with something else (yes, I have tried it on Winamp 5 and WMP and it works, except it tries to open it through a web browser). So we could try to make it open a xex (something like the emulator update etc.). I'd try it but every 360 in here is sold out sad.gif So I'll have to wait smile.gif

Hmmm... doesn't sound too bad, even though I know very little about this stuff.  Maybe.  I'll test this, if someone wants me to.  Would you be able to tell it to load, say, the NFS demo from a USB flash drive plugged in to your 360?  If you can try and get it to load that, or the Kameo demo, or the Madden 06 demo, I'll be very happy to try this.

EDIT: If one of you guys comes up with this, then PM me.

fallchild1597

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 02:11:00 AM »

dunno if this helps but http://65.59.234.165...3fbe4df716d.xcp

is the url for the zuma game off xbox live

MaTiAz

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 07:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(smileboot @ Dec 19 2005, 10:18 AM) View Post

well when ya find em send em to smileboor"at"gmail.com
i never thought about this but its a matter of finding out the usb address if im right they currently have a working (if early) filesystem drivers over at the nix project so im guessing it wouldnt be too hard to find out the address for a demo download on the HD or taking a wild guess at the dvd drives address

Well, to maintain backwards compatibility, X360 *should* (if the emulator doesn't emulate the drive...) use D: for DVD-drive (it would make sense wink.gif). As most of us know, X360 looks for default.xex on the DVD (according to MS, the update won't run if it's named other than default.xex), so we could try to rename the update file to e.g. x360update.xex and run it via the WMA. I'll make a WMA file, so you could check it wink.gif

smileboot, i'll send it to ya when I'm finished wink.gif

aceman118

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »

when do the xex files or game disks lose the keys/signing or becomes invalid to the 360? the downloaded update seems to be signed even when off the dvd so if an image of a game were saved on a computer wouldnt you be able to some how use this method to run that image like a streaming game. would it still be a valid game to the 360?

Arakon

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »

no. the game xex files have a media check. if they aren't run from an original xbox dvd, they won't launch. if you modify the media check, it breaks the signature.

aceman118

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 06:25:00 AM »

yeah, i didnt think it would be that easy.

EDIT: actually i had another idea. so the xex checks where it is being run from, correct? well if a emulated DVD drive is used to run the ISO on a computer would there be any way to make the emulater an actual 360 drive so it thinks it is being run from an xbox 360 DVD drive? I have used a program called daemon tools and if that type of program were modified to be an xbox drive and a game ISO was loaded into that drive and the drive was shared on the network and a wma was run with a link to that drive's default.xex would it still not work?
Pages: [1] 2