xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: X-mame Vx Mame-ox  (Read 199 times)

rhawk79

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« on: May 12, 2003, 07:20:00 PM »

should I replace x-mame with mame-ox?

NerdENerd

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 01:38:00 AM »

Just run them both, some games work better some worse, MameoX is developing at a good speed and will probably be much better soon.
I just hope we get lightgun support, that would rock!

Enkak

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 02:07:00 AM »

Hmmm, let me do a paste from a other post of mine, regarding this. Not much time to do more right now ^_^.

"Actually, after i tried Mameox 0.62b, i think most people should give this emu a try.

My main concern with it are the "crackling sound" and some frame issues in certain games but, it must had a but, lol. I say give it try not because some games runs better, but because some games only run in Mameox.

For example, a person here said Mortal Kombat. Ok. But Bomb Jack, Bubble Bobble 2 and Cadillacs and Dinossaurs, 3 of my favourite games of all time, among others, only run in MAMEox.

And also, you can set the screen size on Mameox to full screen in games like Dragon Ninja etc, a big plus for some people.

My Advice is keeping both emulators, but lately, MameOx seems for me more compatible and stable in some cases, even that both ports are excelent.

I am working on compability lists of both emulators. Maybe i will finish them someday, lol. Damm real life hehe.  ;) "

room88

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 10:11:00 AM »

QUOTE (Enkak @ May 13 2003, 11:00 AM)
And also, you can set the screen size on Mameox to full screen in games like Dragon Ninja etc, a big plus for some people.

You can get full screen in MameX too. One fast easy way is to comment out all the video display options in mame.ini. This pretty much makes every game "full screen". :D

I'm sure there's a more graceful way to do it within the settings, but heck, it works for me. Another way is to just rename/delete mame.ini alltogether. But then that takes away other tweaks like enabling samples, etc. :P

DaveKlassix

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 07:36:00 PM »

Theres no comparisson now, as MAMEOX r0x as of 0.67. IF only it had high score save support, and worked with journey :P

brandogg

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 08:22:00 PM »

I like MAMEoX a lot better than the original MAMEX or even the first release of MAMEoX. The latest version is very stable and runs games quite fast. MK2 runs really well, it gets a littlw choppy when there's a lot of sound going on, but it's 100% playable. YOu can't change the sample rate in the sound for some reason, but if you could set it to 22050 khz, I bet the game would run perfectly.

yeager

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 05:59:00 AM »

Is there support for extra samples, artwork and all the other extra stuff from regular MAME?

Yeah, lightgun support would be awesome!
Anyone tested any CHD games? Area 51, Maximum Force etc..

falz

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 06:54:00 AM »

Yes, samples work in MAMEoX (try qbert on for size). MAMEoX is still slower than x-mame in some areas (run Mortal Kombat on both and compare, for example). MAMEoX however plays "older" (8-bit) games prefectly, from my experience.

--falz

c-2

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2003, 07:20:00 AM »

Theres no comparisson now, as MAMEOX r0x as of 0.67. IF only it had high score save support, and worked with journey

it has high score save support ... saves my puzzle bobble high scrores just fine .. also works with hiscore.dat if u put it in the hiscore directory in the mameox directory .. if your running it off a dvd u need to either add it before burn or u can put it in the TDATA directory mameox uses ..  

Anyone tested any CHD games? Area 51, Maximum Force etc..

has anyone tried this .. i will once Area51 is done downloading ...

tsjarlie

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2003, 06:13:00 AM »

it has high score save support ... saves my puzzle bobble high scrores just fine .. also works with hiscore.dat if u put it in the hiscore directory in the mameox directory .. if your running it off a dvd u need to either add it before burn or u can put it in the TDATA directory mameox uses ..

It does ? How did you actually set it up ? You do have to download a hiscore.dat and put it under f:mamehiscore ? or doe you have to put somewhere else too ? I've been trying to get the high scores working for ages (read months) ...
Do you have to change other settings (IGR) ?

c-2

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2003, 07:25:00 AM »

yes download the hiscore.dat file and put it in the hiscore directory , although hiscore.dat is really only used for games that do not naturally have save support .. try a game like Neo-Geo Bust-A-Move and set a hiscore .. make sure after entering your name u let the game do everything else it wants to do before returning to the main game screen (count down, show credits , whatever) as no one is sure when these games actualy save .. what game are u trying to save in, i'll try the same in mine ..

also to just for fun get cheats.dat and put it in your GENERAL directory then enable cheats in the mameox options .. then during a game press BACK+WHITE to bring up the MAME menu and u can select cheats.  

splattered

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2003, 02:08:00 PM »

How does mameox 67 work with neogeo games? i read that i *think* 65 or so wouldnt run neogeo games at all, this true?

Predalex

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2003, 06:22:00 PM »

Every time I get MAMEoX from IRC channel #xboxemu, I always get an uncompiled version? Where can I get a version already compiled and ready for FTPing in my xbox?

noodle1009

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2003, 06:31:00 PM »

QUOTE (splattered @ Jun 16 2003, 11:01 PM)
How does mameox 67 work with neogeo games? i read that i *think* 65 or so wouldnt run neogeo games at all, this true?

Quite untrue.  There are _some_ roms that don't load, and overall it seems like MameX is a better release for neogeo games, but overall I like both releases.  Mameox loads some games that MameX won't, Mame X loads some neogeo games that Mameox won't load or emulate properly, and FBAX loads the CPS1 and 2 games that MameX and Mameox won't load.

Why don't you people just give the emuators a try?!?  It's not like I didn't wonder the same thing at some point.  The difference between you and me is, I went and found the answer to my question, and many of you want to keep asking this question over and over. :)  Where is your spirit of discovery? ;) Establish a goal of not asking a question that you can answer yourself with a bit of work!

If I see another 'what's the best gba emulator' thread I'm going to scream!
:rolleyes:  

Wrathful

• Archived User
X-mame Vx Mame-ox
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2003, 06:46:00 PM »

Hey does anybody know which Mame or other Emu will play the classic Star Wars game. I tried MAMEoX 067b but it doesn't read the game (rom).

....or maybe I got a bad rom?