xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ps2 Emulator  (Read 291 times)

Jse

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2003, 07:44:00 PM »

just barley???? bleem on the dreamcast is succsesful at full fps

and the xbox is far more powerful than th dc

Lowen Na

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2003, 02:34:00 AM »

QUOTE (tex5535 @ May 2 2003, 11:49 PM)
Thankyou Lowen Na.  sorry if it was asked in the past but i could not find a post on it.  I just wanted a link as to why this would not work because i saw this on the "things you must know about the xbox" post and was curious as to why it was imposible from a technical standpoint.  Nowhere did i claim that i had a ps2 emulator revelation.  You need to ratchet down the flaming.

What did I have in my post that even comes close to sounding like a flame?  That post was most likely the most tame post I have ever posted on these boards.

jsm

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2003, 12:02:00 PM »

Hey, I don't know if anyone knows this but there is actually an ps2 emulator (for pc) that is progressing very nicely, as of now you can get ingame with only "Sven Goran's World Manager 2002" here's the site, http://www.pcsx2.net/

skforty

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2003, 01:29:00 AM »

yes, this has been mentioned several times, and if by "progressing very nicely" you mean, "will be available to run some commercial games half-way normal at a below average frame rate on a crazy power pc with a crazy video card by mid-late 2004...MAYBE" then yes.  Still has a long way to go is my point, they are doing great work, all the hard work too.  And props to them for doing such good work, im sure its not easy, but any people waiting and hoping to see anything worthwhile ps2 emu related on the xbox scene should quickly be reminded that it wont happen.

gamemaster14

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2003, 01:14:00 PM »

It is really the software that makes you need such a powerfull pc. It really depends how the emulator emulates the system and how it uses the avilible resources. Emulators like VGS (PSX) and Corn64 (n64) have proven if you can get the games running in the first place then you can make them run on slower systems just by some tweaking. For examle Take the Killer Instinct Arcade games. Slower systems can run them on U64EMU just fine but Mame emulates them differently so even on the best systems they run slow as hell. My point is you dont need a super fast system to emulate a game. You just need a good emulator.

Lowen Na

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2003, 02:56:00 PM »

QUOTE (gamemaster14 @ May 4 2003, 10:14 PM)
For examle Take the Killer Instinct Arcade games. Slower systems can run them on U64EMU just fine but Mame emulates them differently so even on the best systems they run slow as hell. My point is you dont need a super fast system to emulate a game. You just need a good emulator.

That is a very bad example.  U64EMU uses very high level emulation and is only able to emulate 2 games on that hardware  (not even sure if there were more game on that hardware or not).  The mame emulator is a more low level emulation that is more compatible with mutliple games, and more true to the orginal.

I laymans terms, High level emulation is looking at what needs to be done to get the output of the orginal in a few steps as possible and sacraficing compatiblity. (IE: if a game did not use these CPU instruction, then they are not implemented.  If a game did not use more than 3 of the vector units, the other 6 or not implemented)  It also will use shortcuts and bypass parts of the emulation that it knows what the outcome will be, or an easier way to get teh out come, but these shortcuts only work on one or two games.

Low Level emulation looks at how the machine really works and tries to recreate it in software, which is done correctly, will have great compatiblity.  (IE:  Every bit of CPU instruction, and hardware is implenented in software)

What you would end up with if you had a HLE (High Level Emulator) for the PS2, is something that looks and maybe even feels like the orginal, but couls only play a few games (the games that use the limited hardware emulated), and would neef massive changes to the core of the emulator to be able to play anyother games (the games that used hardware that was not emulated).

Regardless, there will still never be a PS2 emulator that can run on the Xbox.

west17m

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2003, 03:46:00 PM »

I have a great emulator idea.  You could emulate to two game systems (collectively costing <$350) by wiring a couple motherboards and P4's to the xbox with a RAID-5 scsi 320 array.  This option may also require external enclosures and power supplies, but should be affordable at a mere $5,000.

my $0.02 USD
Pages: 1 [2]