xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ps2 Emulator  (Read 290 times)

tex5535

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« on: May 01, 2003, 09:31:00 AM »

can some please either explain or post a link explaining why you cannot create a ps2 or gc emulator for the xbox.

methadone_pretty

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 09:38:00 AM »

for the xbox to emulate the PS2, it will have to emualte all of the PS2s hardware. It does this in software. For the software to emulate something as powerful as the PS2s dedicated hardware, the system running the emulator has to be considerably more powerful. The xbos is not considerably more powerful than the GC or PS2, so emualtion of these on the xbox is unlikely

Lowen Na

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 06:58:00 PM »

QUOTE (tex5535 @ May 1 2003, 06:24 PM)
can some please either explain or post a link explaining why you cannot create a ps2 or gc emulator for the xbox.

First: there is no working PS2 or GCN emulator on any system.  There is a PS2 emulator or 3 on PC that can boot the firmware, and run a few homebrew roms, but nothing even close to a  retail game.

Second:  Current high end desktop PCs are not powerful enough to emulate even with their 3Ghz processors, Gigs of ram, and etc.  With that in mind, you should be able to figure out that if a 3Ghz Full power Pentium 4 system with 1GB of ram is not powerful enough to do it, then a system that has a 733 Mhz cripled Pentium 3 processor and 64MB of ram won't even come close.  

In order to emulate a system of anytype you have to have another the is multiply time more powerful to do so.  To emulate the PS2, you would have to emulate a 294.912Mhz RISC (which is very very very diffrent from the CISC x86 CPU that your Xbox and PC use, so the number 294.912Mhz means nothing when trying to compare them, it is much more powerful than a 294.912 Mhz x86 chip would be) CPU with it's 9 internal vertor units and 2 co-CPUs.  That is alot of hardware that we:

A: have little to no documentation.
B: Have to reverse engineer before we can even begin to get a working emulator.
C: that is also just the main CPU

The graphics chip is a 147.456 MHz custom CPU, and the sound is produced with 2 other chip altogether.  Plus the I/O controller is the Original PSX main CPU.

As you have to emulate more CPUs at one time, the emulation gets more over head.

I can't give you number as to what speed of computer you would need, as those thing depend on if the emulator was optised or not, and how the CPU cores were writen, etc...  But regardless the host system running the emulator would have to be incredibly fast.

Don't belive me.  Go  look at the requirements for SNES9X.  It requires a 486DX4 100 Mhz to run and recomends a Pentium 166.  Doesn't look like much?  The SNES only had a 3.58Mhz RISC CPU, 8-bit 8 channel sound CPU, and 10Mhz 16 bit graphics chip.

Get the Picture?

*edited because I said the XBOX had a 766 CPU, when it has a 733*

This post has been edited by Lowen Na: May 2 2003, 03:28 PM

bzchi

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 07:18:00 PM »

Lowen Na: Excellent post, im glad someone had the energy to write this out for these people smile.gif

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 07:22:00 PM »

QUOTE (bzchi @ May 2 2003, 04:18 AM)
Lowen Na: Excellent post, im glad someone had the energy to write this out for these people smile.gif

I agree. It's too damn bad it'll be ignored so yet another newbie can post another "idea" on how to emulate the PS2.

Jse

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2003, 08:13:00 PM »

it would have been easier to explain it like this

"it's like trying to emulate mircrowave on a toaster"

tongue.gif:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Mage

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2003, 08:36:00 PM »

Uh, we have all the info you need to make an emulator...
Purchase the ps2linux kit, it comes with the SCEI docs required...
R5900, VU ISA and GS
the only thing it doesn't come with info on is how to directly use the IOP, so that's the only part you'd have to reverse engineer, which ps2dev scene is handling that already.

pelago

• Recovered User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2003, 02:58:00 AM »

Maybe we can get the info, but it's never going to work on an Xbox. A high-end PC in a couple of years time, maybe.

pelago

Lowen Na

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 08:24:00 AM »

QUOTE (Mage @ May 2 2003, 05:29 AM)
Uh, we have all the info you need to make an emulator...
Purchase the ps2linux kit, it comes with the SCEI docs required...
R5900, VU ISA and GS
the only thing it doesn't come with info on is how to directly use the IOP, so that's the only part you'd have to reverse engineer, which ps2dev scene is handling that already.

I stand corrected.  I didn't know that the PS2 Lunix kit came with such documentation.

That aside, there is still no way that the X-Box can emulate the PS2 anywere close to full speed for the other reasons listed in my first post.

Scan-C

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2003, 09:05:00 AM »

how many times was this asked?it starts to get annoying!
if you want play ps2 games buy a ps2  

kezzz

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2003, 09:25:00 AM »

could a mod make this a sticky or make a new topic a sticky with Lowen Na's writting in it? That way it might hopefully reduce the amount of questions on this.

Jse

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2003, 02:43:00 PM »

or we could not ps2's suck balls

tex5535

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2003, 02:56:00 PM »

Thankyou Lowen Na.  sorry if it was asked in the past but i could not find a post on it.  I just wanted a link as to why this would not work because i saw this on the "things you must know about the xbox" post and was curious as to why it was imposible from a technical standpoint.  Nowhere did i claim that i had a ps2 emulator revelation.  You need to ratchet down the flaming.

Xeero

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2003, 02:58:00 PM »

QUOTE (jse @ May 2 2003, 06:36 PM)

or we could not ps2's suck balls

And how is that a solution for those yearning to play PS2 games on their Xbox?  Scan-C was trying to be helpful.

Xeero

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2003, 03:00:00 PM »

QUOTE (tex5535 @ May 2 2003, 06:49 PM)
Thankyou Lowen Na.  sorry if it was asked in the past but i could not find a post on it.  I just wanted a link as to why this would not work because i saw this on the "things you must know about the xbox" post and was curious as to why it was imposible from a technical standpoint.  Nowhere did i claim that i had a ps2 emulator revelation.  You need to ratchet down the flaming.

No, because this has been asked a hundred times.  If you couldn't find a 1,000 hits, you didn't search correctly.  Are you going to tell me that posting a newbie question for the 1,001st time after a poor effort searching doesn't merit a flame?  Run that by the rest of the members and see what they say.
Pages: [1] 2