xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Formatted External Hdd Won't Show Videos  (Read 786 times)

greatsuccess0

• Archived User
Formatted External Hdd Won't Show Videos
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(csd208 @ Aug 2 2012, 08:48 AM) View Post

Hello,

I've formatted to FAT32 and installed the Xbox 16GB on my external hard drive. It is recognized in the system menu, but when I try to play videos through the video player tab it says it can't see any videos. I've searched for an answer but only find people needing someone to tell them to format.

This same HDD is recognized by my PS3, so it is formatted, and I have several other external HDD that the 360 plays videos from fine, including an identical model HDD to this problem one. Not sure why the videos aren't showing on this one.

Like I said, it IS formatted correctly, I've installed the necessary XBox data under the system tab, but no videos show up, and they are in video formats that should. I'm not new to this! But I'm also not sure what the problem is. I think I may be overlooking something simple.

Any ideas?

My hard drive still works. That article posted was talking about memory cards made by companies other than Microsoft for storing your game saves and that sort of thing. It has to do with the file format. If you have the hard drive formatted to NTFS, then your Xbox won't be able to read it. It has to be in the FAT32 file system (which sucks due to the 4GB filesize limit) or the HFS+ file system (which is better because there is no file size limit). The only issue is that the HFS+ is a mac format and if you have a PC, you won't be able to read it without a program like MacDrive. I purchased MacDrive and I use HSF+. This allows me to use my hard drive as I want to on the 360 (movies, pictures, music). Hope it helps.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Formatted External Hdd Won't Show Videos
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:46:00 AM »

The problem is you made it a 16gb 360 storage unit.  You cannot play movies from a 360 hdd or memcard if it is set up as a 360 storage device.  Reformat as FAT32, do not make it a storage unit and it will play movies just fine.