xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox360 Does'nt Recognize My 1tb External Hdd  (Read 685 times)

greatsuccess0

• Archived User
Xbox360 Does'nt Recognize My 1tb External Hdd
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(rich1515 @ Feb 18 2012, 05:33 PM) View Post

Hi Folks,

I've bought the usb2 Buffalo 1TB external hard drive (HD-LBU2) for watching media etc.. on my x-box360.

I used the disk formatter that came with the drive to change it to FAT32. This was done successfully and my computer recognizes that it is now FAT32 (960GB).

The drive seems to start up correctly when i plug it into the x-box360 with the green light coming on, but the portable devices option in the video library remains greyed out.

Is there anything else i can try to get this working or should i be using another program to format it into FAT32?

Thanks

Hope it helps. I try this, I can definitely say external drives MUST use FAT32. I don't remember what the size limit is, but I do believe that FAT32 can be up to 2Tb so I'm sure the xbox can probably use 2Tb.

zoers

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »

Eventually, we would wear him down and he would say "Okay, but remember, I can't hold down on the strings the way I used to" or "Since the accident to this finger I can't play as good".
----------------------------------
old school runescape gold and buy rs 3 gold

jackpinkate

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »

if you dont plan on using the hard drive for anything else other than your xbox and computer, is to get macdrive for windows, pretty easy to find on thepiratebay, and then again if you can use a mac (or there may be a windows version to help you) try to format your drive to HFS+!

rich1515

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »

Hi Folks,

I've bought the usb2 Buffalo 1TB external hard drive (HD-LBU2) for watching media etc.. on my x-box360.

I used the disk formatter that came with the drive to change it to FAT32. This was done successfully and my computer recognizes that it is now FAT32 (960GB).

The drive seems to start up correctly when i plug it into the x-box360 with the green light coming on, but the portable devices option in the video library remains greyed out.

Is there anything else i can try to get this working or should i be using another program to format it into FAT32?

Thanks

darklord88

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »

hey there, ive had a similar issue with my 2tb drive which also was fat32 but my xbox wouldnt read.

i have a windows 7 pc, which i tried several times to (unsucessfully) to format to fat32.

the only solution that i found, which is ironic lol was to use my girlfriends mac to format to windows

once it showed up on my computer, i loaded it up with my content and plugged it in, only to find out...that it still didnt work!

macs give you three types of options to format the drive to, guid settings, master boot record and one other which i dont remember, but to make my xbox recognize it, it had to be on MBR.

since ive not used windows to do it myself, im unsure of the settings which you see on your screen, but if you do see something that allows master boot record, i suggest that, or even if you can use a mac to do it, then it will work smile.gif

another option, if you dont plan on using the hard drive for anything else other than your xbox and computer, is to get macdrive for windows, pretty easy to find on thepiratebay, and then again if you can use a mac (or there may be a windows version to help you) try to format your drive to HFS+

this is very similar to fat32 as your xbox will still read it just fine, BUT it wont have the 4gb filesized limit. so if you have it set up like that, then your xbox will see it no problem, but you will need macdrive to let your pc recognize it, as HFS+ IS a mac format.

lastly, when you plug in your drive, you may have to wait 30-60 seconds for it to show, ive noticed two of my drives took a while and i thought it didnt work, only to find out a few minutes later that it did pop up and was fine smile.gif

hope this helps! (and i'm not suggesting 'go get a mac!' haha i hate macs, thats the ONLY thing i use my girlfriends for, is to help me do something for windows) ironic hey?

rich1515

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »

Thanks buddy, that was a huge help.

I've managed to now get the drive working using macdrive. I changed the drive to HFS+ and the x-box now recognizes it straight away smile.gif

The only problem i have now is getting it to play files. I tried one wmp avi file that i had previously watched on the x-box via a usb pen, but it would'nt work on the external drive (error code - 69-C00D36BE).

Do i now need to convert files into a mac format before putting them on the external drive or is this something that will update automatically if i have the x-box connected to the internet ? (i dont currently have it connected to x-box live)

P.s i hate macs too, but might change my mind after this  rolleyes.gif

edit: I've just tried some other random avi files and they all worked, so it looks like i may just need a few x-box updates. Thanks again Darklord for all the help smile.gif

darklord88

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »

glad to hear it all worked out for you!

yea theres certain formats that the xbox wont play, strange how it worked then didnt, but ive had mp4 files do that as well, it worked on one of my externals, but when i copied it to a different external for my dad, he said it didnt work. perhaps some sort of drm protection so that it cant be played on a million different things, but i doubt it lol

the HFS+ is a great easy format for the 360, it just sucks that you need macdrive on all computers to read the drive!

i wish m$ would just update to NTFS and do away with all these silly limitations so we could all just use our hard drives!

that and MKV support and id be a happy man!

bairdes

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 03:11:00 AM »

i have a windows 7 pc, which i tried several times to (unsucessfully) to format to fat32. IPB Image