xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Dashboard Plays Mkvs  (Read 538 times)

GraiLe

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« on: September 22, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »

Ok just accidentally figured this out, (you can now play mkv even more than 4 GB using XBOX thru WMP latest version )

Play mkv files directly streaming on XBOX ..making your PC kinda like a large USB -- NOT thru Windows Media Centre ( your computer name would come out if you open WMP ..ensure that streaming is allowd on all devices and network in WMP options) nad my PC also has the CCCP codec instaled just FYI..

I was playing NFL HD MOVIE in mkv.on XBOX using PMS (ps3 Media server.. , when i play it on PMS..it would stutter, pause and then continue,..usually i pause it and play it once PMS catcHes up with bitrate,

but NOW.. i can play MKV file EVEN more than 4 GB files on my xbox thru WMP .latest version ,,,but you have to open PMS also at the same time.(and FYI Halli splitter codec and CCCP codec is installed in my PC..maybe that help also)

I usually cannot see the mkv file on my xbox when using wmp and play thru XBOX...BUT WHEN I OPENED PMS...files also came out on my WMP..

First..open PMS..make sure mkv file shows up on list USING XBOX ...then open WMP on your PC also and do not exit PMS ....NOW you can see the MKV file...(if still cannot see,,try playing another MKV file first with PMS usually better with subtitle..(after this once you can see the file using XBOX only..it can play MKV and even more than 4 GB),,

Now the i can watch the NFL game HD without stutter,,only problem now is it is not surround sound...i will try an OPTICAL cable...next week..will update..Cheers

oh sometimes it will say error pc not connected --- .53-?????? ..something like that..just play it again and it will play...Thanks

will try if it would surround if i put optical cable..will update,,,hehe.cheers(coz currently if mp4 5.1 it would play surround and avi...but thru ac3...hmm have not tried this new version if mp4 but aac 6 ch,.,will try later also..hehehe,..but mkv will not surround...i am using hdmi thru amp and to tv..
but if subtitle..

PS3 Media server is the best for watching it (especially with subtitles)... It has a magma version which plays surround 5.1 even using PS3 MS.. plays all mp4..mkv..avi...and surround...but i just used this way directly if mkv and not interested in surround,,hehe..at least you have options right??

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »

The only way I've seen to play mkv's properly and without streaming through your PC is to use Showtime media player for the ps3.

you can't just play mkv's on a xbox360. I tried and could not do it. I had to use tversity and stream from the pc. but that's suck a waste of electricity.

thugsters

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »

I use ffplay, sucks when it freezes though as fast forward and stuff don't work all that well...So if your movie stops you are pretty much scre*ed...Even if you get fast forward to work I find it's always out of sync after...I would say maybe 75% of the time it works great but can't play files over 4gigs obvious reasons.

P.s. I do love it for the new x264 rips that have been coming out for tv though..Nice and small and without ffplay the xbox won't see them..

dayvey

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »

I came across this the other day, it lets my Xbox see and play mkv's just fine - I sh*t you not wink.gif

http://shark007.net/win8codecs.html

or

http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html

I'm using x64 Win 8, haven't tried the other options (note there's an extra file to download for the 64 bit versions of either os). Just to clarify, im playing using the system video player on the 360 - not the Xbox Video or whatever the new video player thingy is.

Unsure if I its ok to link to other sites, if not then admins please remove this post. If all is good then I hope this solves many peoples issues! smile.gif

competes2win

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »

its times like these that I realize how much I miss my old xbox and XBMC smile.gif just saying...

dayvey

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 01:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(competes2win @ Nov 28 2012, 04:31 AM) View Post

its times like these that I realize how much I miss my old xbox and XBMC smile.gif just saying...

Well there's nothing stopping you still using it, although getting the old Xbox to spit out HD video may be a tad tricky.

..........of course you could always try XBMC on one of the multitude of platforms it's now available on, including the £25 Raspberry PI which is perfectly capable of full 1080p playback? Or maybe Android is more your thing?

wink.gif

fchenaj

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 02:46:00 AM »

The mkv's now show under my regular video player but it still says the content is unsupported. Is there something else I need to do?

impimpin206

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »

Hadn't seen anyone talking about it, but the new dashboard allows the xbox video player to play MKVs over the local network without having to use Media Center. Woohoo!

Light Yagami

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »

This is good news didn't know about that.I don't think alot of ppl care tho but atleast we can put our own stuff on there without the use of media player:)

rastiemon

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »

So how did you guys get this to work?   I have been using Windows Media Center to play mkvs but man its buggy as heck for me most of the time.    The mkv's now show under my regular video player but it still says the content is unsupported.    Is there something else I need to do?

relaxxx

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »

Cool, I hope this is true. I'll be trying this out shortly. I use TVersity or Vuze to stream as I hate windows media center and couldn't get sharing to work any other way...

BoNg420

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »

I use a patriot media player, got it for like $60 or so with a free wireless adapter.

I was tired of converting stuff before, so I just got this media player and it works awesome.

relaxxx

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »

So TVersity doesn't even show up anymore in the new Video panel but I see my Win7 laptop showed up but I had nothing in it's shared folders. Rebooted my desktop in Win7 and I had to use Media Center to share a video folder. I only had one MKV file and that file is missing from the 360's folder listing, it was a 720p MKV. Some other MP4's asked for an update which I can't do right now because my router won't connect to live. It doesn't look like this is going to try and play MKV's at all?

HuH0X

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »

Finally. I hate having to have all my media stream through media center. Let me play it from USB Microsoft!

AirCap

• Archived User
New Dashboard Plays Mkvs
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 04:27:00 AM »

Well, I tried playing a .MKV through Tversity on my Xbox 360 - with latest Dashboard - it doesn't work.
Pages: [1] 2