xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Media Streaming Without Connecting To Live  (Read 212 times)

fersy

• Archived User
Media Streaming Without Connecting To Live
« on: November 06, 2010, 04:58:00 AM »

is there a way i can stream my media over my network to my console without having to have my console also connected to live. at the minute if i plug my console into my router to stream it also has a connection to the outside world and with me trying to avoid the new fall update i dont want that.

any ideas? cheers

This post has been edited by fersy: Nov 6 2010, 11:59 AM

ryandlf

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »

Yes its easy, on your xbox go to the profile settings and create a regular account (not a live one) and choose to have that as your default. On mine I actually have it set to not log into any account when I turn my xbox on, but it asks me to choose an account everytime I load a game.

fersy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(ryandlf @ Nov 6 2010, 01:50 PM) View Post

Yes its easy, on your xbox go to the profile settings and create a regular account (not a live one) and choose to have that as your default. On mine I actually have it set to not log into any account when I turn my xbox on, but it asks me to choose an account everytime I load a game.

cheers mate. i noticed that even offline it wont let me play divx files. keeps saying an update is need and to log onto live. wonder does it load the license for div x files everytime you go online

Bearhug

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »

The problem is that the Divx codec is licenced.  

If this is the first console you ever downloaded it onto it should work offline.  If you have downloaded the update to another 360 in the past with your gamertag it will only work whilst you are logged into live with that profile.

It's all to do with how M$ does their content licencing.  The content is licenced both to an online gametag and the console it was first downloaded on.  So in short, the content will work offline on the very first console it is ever downloaded onto or on any console with the gamertag it is owned by as long as the GT is online.

Given you wish to avoid the fall update, your only options to get divx content working again will be to use a program on your PC such as Tversity or Ord or any others people now recommend (Media Streaming Software, you'll have to do your own searches on these).  It will also give you access to other formats like .mkv etc by using these, so there is a little bit of a plus.

Generally what people should do, when they want to avoid updates or being bricked with bans and still use all their content and arcade games etc is to transfer the licencing of all their content to the current console they use.  (This is done through xbox.com with instructions).  The only hassle with this method is that it can only be done once a year for your Gamertag.

fersy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bearhug @ Nov 8 2010, 04:01 AM) View Post

The problem is that the Divx codec is licenced.  

If this is the first console you ever downloaded it onto it should work offline.  If you have downloaded the update to another 360 in the past with your gamertag it will only work whilst you are logged into live with that profile.

It's all to do with how M$ does their content licencing.  The content is licenced both to an online gametag and the console it was first downloaded on.  So in short, the content will work offline on the very first console it is ever downloaded onto or on any console with the gamertag it is owned by as long as the GT is online.

Given you wish to avoid the fall update, your only options to get divx content working again will be to use a program on your PC such as Tversity or Ord or any others people now recommend (Media Streaming Software, you'll have to do your own searches on these).  It will also give you access to other formats like .mkv etc by using these, so there is a little bit of a plus.

Generally what people should do, when they want to avoid updates or being bricked with bans and still use all their content and arcade games etc is to transfer the licencing of all their content to the current console they use.  (This is done through xbox.com with instructions).  The only hassle with this method is that it can only be done once a year for your Gamertag.

cheers mate that explains a lot because i originally downloaded it to my original elite console back in 07 which i no longer have any more. to get round it could i not just create another user/gamertag to download it to this console rather than go the pc option? will have to try it out later. also nice to know about transferring the license. thanks a lot smile.gif

evolancer276

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 01:13:00 AM »

thanks a lot for the info too, i was getting pissed that it wouldnt stream when not on xbox Live, thanks smile.gif

weelad

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(ryandlf @ Nov 6 2010, 01:50 PM) View Post

Cheers, This had been doing my head in. Logged in as a different profile and played an avi file, downloaded the update, now playing offline on all profiles.

skyblusam

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »

I allways use orb to watch content from pc and works perfect for me

joepx

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 05:48:00 PM »

This thread is this clearest explanation i have found on how the media update and its content licensing component works, thanks Bearhug.  

Here is my problem that I have yet to solve or find a solution for.

I have a JTAG box that has never been connected to the internet let alone live.  It has profiles on it that have a CUID but no XUID. I have FTP media updates files to FFFE07DF that have been scrubbed with yaris so have console ID of 0000 and FFFF for XUID.  

From this thread I take it the console ID has to match and cant just be 00000

joepx

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »

To answer my own question, update to dash 2.07 fixed media extender

dash2.07
- fixed media center extender (thanks jester and antman)