xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Mp4 Over 4gb  (Read 153 times)

BruinsFan

• Archived User
Mp4 Over 4gb
« on: November 04, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(jriker1 @ Nov 3 2010, 07:45 PM) View Post

I am using Nero Mediahome to push (say push because it only streams when the extension is not supported by the receiving device) videos to the xbox.

How are you viewing these movies? Is it through the Media Extender or Windows Media Center? I'm also assuming that you are talking about the Xbox360.

I can not seem to play on the XBox MP4's over 4GB.  Basically errors out.  I know to get a MP4 bigger than 4GB you need to store it in a 64-bit container which I'm doing and will play on the PC but not the XBOX.

I've never heard of a "64 bit" container nor have any idea how you are storing it in one. The 4GB limit comes from the filesystem. The limit was around in the 90s with the FAT32 filesystem, which the original Xbox is based off of. My understanding is that the same (or similar) filesystem is used on the xbox 360.

I know people say they can attach some Mac formatted hard drive to the XBOX and it works but that doesn't make sense.

Modern day Macs use the HFS+ File System, which is also used on the iPod. Since the Xbox 360 can read from the iPod (not sure if the Optional Media Update is required), MS was forced to create drivers for the HFS+ file system. HFS+ supports files over 4GB (much like your computer, which uses NTFS). In theory you should be able to format your external hard drive (I'm assuming that's what you are trying to do?), and place the file on there.

There are a few tools available which will let Windows see HFS+ partitions and give you the ability to format your external as one.

Note: I have never tried this. I can't confirm whether the 360 will be able to read the 8GB file with this process, but in theory, it should work.

Anyway, any thoughts or solutions other than to make the video smaller?

You could always convert it to Divx or DVD, but you would lose quality.