xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Transferring Optional Media Update  (Read 163 times)

BruinsFan

• Archived User
Transferring Optional Media Update
« on: November 04, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(robvandam420 @ Oct 17 2010, 06:52 AM) View Post

I use my 360 a lot for watching divx and mp4 files, so I need the Optional Media Update. But my harddrive is going bad (it freezes a lot while playing games from the HDD), so I think about getting a new one. I have downloaded and installed the "Optional Media Update" on this HDD and on my 360. But I can't go on Live anymore to download this update on a new HDD. Is it possible to transfer the "Optional Media Update" from my current HDD to my PC with something like the Microsoft Transfer Kit and then back to a new HDD? Or is this not possible?

My understanding is that upon downloading the Optional Media Update, it is locked down to your Xbox 360, so transfering it to another system would not work. However, since you are trying to put it back on the 360 that was downloaded to, it might just work.

manuforti1314

• Archived User
Transferring Optional Media Update
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 02:00:00 AM »

i've done something similar.

I used the new usb storage feature to store my media update on. One hard drive to another should be easier. You could try the official hard drive transfer kit and that copies from one drive to another.

I used the transfer cable to connect the 360 hard drive to my PC and copied the file off the hard drive and onto, an already formatted by the 360, USB storage pen drive. Works fine. You cannot copy the file via the dashboard.

I'd start here,

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=710775

I think you might have to use different software for the HDD and the USB parts of the transfers.

I will fire up my old PC that I used to do the work. Really easy if memory serves. I'll also check back into the thread later. Off to work now.

Hope this helps.