xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: "optional Media Update" Applied... Aac, M4a... Still Don'  (Read 118 times)

LargePig

• Archived User
"optional Media Update" Applied... Aac, M4a... Still Don'
« on: March 02, 2010, 03:47:00 AM »

Hello everyone. It's been some time since I've been on the forums and I'm back, with an ubernoob question.

I've fairly recently got an XBOX 360, not modded. I downloaded the Optional Media Update which claims to enable playback of unprotected AAC files (m4a not m4p). It's not working at all for me.

If I load up the Media Extender, I can navigate to, and play the AAC (m4a) songs from my Media PC, but if I try to play the very same files directly through 'My Xbox>Music Library' they fail to play, little white circle with a line through it to the right. This is the same if I hook up my iPod Nano to the Xbox.
The m4a files are iTunes plus, and have no DRM (otherwise they wouldn't play in 7MC or with the Media Extender).

I guess my question is: Is this supposed to work? I can't see what I could be doing wrong, mp3 files play just fine.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
"optional Media Update" Applied... Aac, M4a... Still Don'
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 05:31:00 AM »

You might want to check how they've been encoded as this will be a factor. Check here for a full list:

http://support.micro.../945416?sd=xbox