xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: .mkv > 360 With 5.1? Pulling My Hair Out Here  (Read 158 times)

mooshoepork

• Archived User
.mkv > 360 With 5.1? Pulling My Hair Out Here
« on: January 06, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »

Hey! I thought I'd join the forums after reading through the various tutorials posted on how to play video trhough the 360. I just bought one, so I am a little unaware of many things, and was wondering if someone could help me. I have read the tutorials and stickies, but am still at a loss. I'll give you my situation first.

I have a few 720p and 1080p videos that I want to play on the 360, with 5.1 sound. I want to convert them first, rather than stream and do it at the same time, as my PC is a tad old. So far, I have tried all the tutorials here (avisynth wouldn't work, maybe I wasn't doing the script properly). I have tried:

windows media encoder = encoded for 6 hours, gave ma a 5.2 kb file.
videora = was going to take 30 hours to convert a 4 gig video
Encode 360 = took 6 hours, and gave me horrible quality on the highest settings.
WME assistant = worked, but only gave me 3 minutes.

I was thinking of BUYING WME assistant, as it seems to be able to do the 5.1 sound and such without much of a headache. If somone could give me any other suggestions, I would be more than willing to try them. I pulling my hair out here!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

edit: the 720p file is- .mkv with MPEG-4 AVC and the audo was AC3 ( I assume the 360 doesn't support AC3? which is part of the problem?)

This post has been edited by mooshoepork: Jan 7 2008, 04:45 AM

mooshoepork

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »

edit 2: (won't let me edit again?) - now WME assistant is saying that 720p file I put in: "the input media format is invalid" hm...

kkelloww

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(mooshoepork @ Jan 7 2008, 09:02 AM) View Post

edit 2: (won't let me edit again?) - now WME assistant is saying that 720p file I put in: "the input media format is invalid" hm...

Here are the settings I use in WME. Most of these procedures are kudos to chrislynch over at Tversity.

DO NOT USE WINDOWS SERVER 2003 as your OS. I have tested the following process on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista 32bit versions ONLY. 64bit DirectShow filters/codecs will NOT be detected properly by Windows Media Encoder 9 and will NOT work.

* Download the K-Lite Codec Pack Full (http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm)
* Make sure that ffdshow is NOT enabled for H.264/x264 playback, and CoreAVC is. Make sure that you are using AC3Filter for AC3/DTS/DDS audio playback. The Haali Spliter component is critical also, as it will be used to split the audio stream from the video stream in the MKV file.
* When you get to the finished screen, check the "configured ffdshow video decoder" checkmark box. The ffdshow Configuration window should appear, with H.264/AVC as the first select item. Make sure it's set to DISABLED.
* Download Microsoft's Windows Media Encoder 9 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx). Download only the 32bit version.
* Make sure that you have Windows Media Player 11, or you will not have Windows Media 9 Advanced Profile or Windows Media Audio 10 Professional to encode to WM-VC1 and WMA 6ch.

Once you have the above installed and configured, open Windows Media Encoder, and select Custom Session. Select File in the "Source From" section in the window. Browse to your MKV file (you will need to select the "All Files" filter.) Once selected, the video and audio checkmark box text should read "In File" and not "Blank." If Bank is shown, then you have a DirectShow filter/codec issue. Either, re-start Windows Media Encoder, or you will need to uninstall any and all codecs, and re-install the K-Lite Codec pack.

In the Output tab, un-check "Pull from encoder" and check "Archive to file." Specify the file name you wish.

Select the Compression tab. Select the Edit button. In the next window do the following:

* Audio - Use CBR mode, and select Windows Media Audio 10 Professional codec.
* Video - Use CBR mode, and select Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile.

Select the [number]Kbps tab. For Audio, I always select "768 kbps, 48 kHz, 5.1 channel 24 bit CBR." This provides the best audio quality possible, and will stream the audio in 6ch. For Video, I select the following:

* Same as Video input
* Frame Rate: 25fps for 720p, and 30fps for 1080p
* Video bit rate: 5500bps for 720p and 7000bps for 1080p
* Buffer size: 60 seconds
* Video Smoothness: 100

It's best to then select the General tab, give the profile a name, and select Export to save the profile.

Select Ok, Apply, and Start Encoding. Prepare to go play a game, sleep, fix your car, etc. I have seen the process take about 18 hours to encode a 2hr 1080p video on an AMD Athalon 2000 with 1GB of RAM. On a Turion 2.6Ghz, about half that time.

I can say that this process has 100% worked for me for every MKV files I wanted to convert to WMV VC1. It takes a while for the re-encoding to complete, but this process produces the absolutely BEST audio and video.

The original poster detailed problems with needing to split the audio from large files. I have not had an issue with files as large as 9GB as long as there is considerable empty space on the drive. I have done this with at least 30 movies and have had no issues.

Ducco

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »

Did follow the guide whit windows media encoder to the point,the mkv file is encoded but im left whit a wma that is arund 200mb??? and unplayable...have i missed somethig or what??

Dragontech

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ducco @ Jan 15 2008, 06:22 PM) View Post

Did follow the guide whit windows media encoder to the point,the mkv file is encoded but im left whit a wma that is arund 200mb??? and unplayable...have i missed somethig or what??

I got the same thing when I followed the guide to the T. I got mine to work by turning on the the ffdshow filter for h264. Im also using the CCCP codec pack. When you install that just make sure ffdshow audio config doesn't have ac3 checked. Also make sure you have an ac3 filter installed so it can pick up the work load that ffdshow isn't going to do since we turned it off. Now do all the steps that kkelloww said up to the point you get to the compression tab on WME9. When you get to this point click on the compression tab and the click on edit button. Set it for audio WMA 10 PRO and Video WMA9 Advance Profile. Now instead of putting in the fps manually just click on the 25 fps PAL check box. Next go to your Kbps tab. You will notice now that everything is mostly preset now. The only thing you need to change is the audio pulldown to the 768 kbps, 48kHz,5.1,24 bit CBR. set video smoothness to 100. The just to be safe about it save these setting as a WME session. Do not use 2 pass because it doesn't work. I hope this helps.

electroglyph

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »

CoreAVC is working great for video, but i can't get WME to accept DTS audio either inside the MKV or as a separate source.

I've tried it with FFDShow DTS enabled/disabled, with and without AC3Filter, and with and without dtsac3source.ax (dtsac3source.ax is the only one that lets me directly play DTS files).

I have haali installed and i get audio from the MKV within WMP with quite a few different configurations, but none of them work in WME.

edit: solved it.  my DTS decoder is outputting 2 channel despite being a 5.1 source

This post has been edited by electroglyph: Jan 25 2008, 01:22 AM

electroglyph

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »

lol, now that i got the encoder to actually begin i got a 5kb WMV file as output. this bullshit is so frustrating. i wish the 360 would just support normal formats.

really glad i tested it on a 100mb sample instead of the full source.

DanDini

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 04:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(electroglyph @ Jan 25 2008, 01:46 AM) View Post

CoreAVC is working great for video, but i can't get WME to accept DTS audio either inside the MKV or as a separate source.

I've tried it with FFDShow DTS enabled/disabled, with and without AC3Filter, and with and without dtsac3source.ax (dtsac3source.ax is the only one that lets me directly play DTS files).

I have haali installed and i get audio from the MKV within WMP with quite a few different configurations, but none of them work in WME.

edit: solved it.  my DTS decoder is outputting 2 channel despite being a 5.1 source

I'm exactly where you were when you posted this (before the edit). How did you fix the DTS issue? I've reconfigured AC3 to ouput DTS unchanged (what I assume you did) but it still says the audio is blank. It all plays fine in WMP.

Thanks,

Dan

chrislynch

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »

I am the author of that post over at TVersity.  It has worked for me.  But, I have found alternate solutions.  The one problem with using WME is you would need to use the VBScript in order to batch encode video.  I just never found this to be easy to use.

I also have ditched using codec packs.  I simply download the codecs I need, and install them individually.  I have a new tutorial on how to convert MKV or Blu-ray sources to WMV using TMPGEnc, on this very forum.  The software is not free, unlike WME.

Also, I do not recommend the use of WMEA (Windows Media Encoder Assistant), as their development is extremely slow.  I cannot justify spending $40 for missing features I have requested over 8 months ago.

kkelloww

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 02:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(chrislynch @ Feb 18 2008, 12:01 AM) View Post

I am the author of that post over at TVersity.  It has worked for me.  But, I have found alternate solutions.  The one problem with using WME is you would need to use the VBScript in order to batch encode video.  I just never found this to be easy to use.

I also have ditched using codec packs.  I simply download the codecs I need, and install them individually.  I have a new tutorial on how to convert MKV or Blu-ray sources to WMV using TMPGEnc, on this very forum.  The software is not free, unlike WME.

Also, I do not recommend the use of WMEA (Windows Media Encoder Assistant), as their development is extremely slow.  I cannot justify spending $40 for missing features I have requested over 8 months ago.

Well Chris, kudos to you again. I hope you noticed that I gave you well-deserved credit. I have converted about 40 movies so far without any issues using WME with Coreavc. I don't even have to split the audio out on the large files like you talked about in your original post and I've used files as large as 9GB. I have converted 720p and 1080p and streamed them over a wireless connection with no stuttering or other issues whatsoever. Transcoding is slow, however: 18-20 hours per movie. I am using a slower Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of ram so that might contribute to the long encode time. Batch encoding has not been an issue since it takes a whole day to do one. Sigh. Why can't they just support mkv?

DMagic1

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »

For those using AC3Filter make sure you go into the settings and select "output" (3/2+SW 5.1 channel) which is on the "main" tab of the settings.

I actually use a combination of CCCP codec pack, ac3filter, an avs script, and WMNicEnc.

I install CCCP pack first, then install AC3filter. Of course you need AviSynth installed too.

I use this script:
DirectShowSource("C:\WORK\Sample.mkv",fps=23.976,seekzero=false,seek=true,audio=true)

I use  640 kbps 48 kHz 5.1 audio and 7000-8000k bitrate for 720P at FPS: 23.98 qualtiy 100 secs/KF 5

Since the audio on the mkv is 640 I dont see a reason to go over that.

Your avs should be able to play with media player classic. If not, you have some codec problems. You shouldnt have that issue with that pack and ac3filter.

There are some advanced option settings that I use too. If needed I could post a screenshot because its too many that I feel like typing out.

I just did a 2 hour mkv 720P at 8000k bitrate that took  5 1/2 hours on my machine (core2 6300 overclocked) which is pretty much the norm for me.

This post has been edited by DMagic1: Feb 25 2008, 05:45 AM

IId3fi13rII

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »

Yeah encoding is a royal pain.
But coreavc is probably the best utility for converting that mkv of yours.

u could also try GOTSent which makes those mkv containers into mp4's that the 360 can read..

I hear its a great program..

but we really need XBMC on the 360!!

chrislynch

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(kkelloww @ Feb 22 2008, 01:52 AM) *

Well Chris, kudos to you again. I hope you noticed that I gave you well-deserved credit. I have converted about 40 movies so far without any issues using WME with Coreavc. I don't even have to split the audio out on the large files like you talked about in your original post and I've used files as large as 9GB. I have converted 720p and 1080p and streamed them over a wireless connection with no stuttering or other issues whatsoever. Transcoding is slow, however: 18-20 hours per movie. I am using a slower Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of ram so that might contribute to the long encode time. Batch encoding has not been an issue since it takes a whole day to do one. Sigh. Why can't they just support mkv?

Transcoding is *not* the way to go for HD content.  Unless you like SD!

As for Microsoft not supporting MKV, I truly do not know why they do not support the MKV container format.  It has a lot of features that ASF/WMV does not.  For instance, supporting any type of video or audio codec format.  Also, they support menu systems for DVD-like interfaces.  It truly is a versatile container format.  I hope they do support MKV in the near future.

QUOTE(DMagic1 @ Feb 24 2008, 09:03 PM) *

For those using AC3Filter make sure you go into the settings and select "output" (3/2+SW 5.1 channel) which is on the "main" tab of the settings.

I actually use a combination of CCCP codec pack, ac3filter, an avs script, and WMNicEnc.

I install CCCP pack first, then install AC3filter. Of course you need AviSynth installed too.

I use this script:
DirectShowSource("C:\WORK\Sample.mkv",fps=23.976,seekzero=false,seek=true,audio=true)

I use  640 kbps 48 kHz 5.1 audio and 7000-8000k bitrate for 720P at FPS: 23.98 qualtiy 100 secs/KF 5

Since the audio on the mkv is 640 I dont see a reason to go over that.

Your avs should be able to play with media player classic. If not, you have some codec problems. You shouldnt have that issue with that pack and ac3filter.

There are some advanced option settings that I use too. If needed I could post a screenshot because its too many that I feel like typing out.

I just did a 2 hour mkv 720P at 8000k bitrate that took  5 1/2 hours on my machine (core2 6300 overclocked) which is pretty much the norm for me.

Good luck with WMNicEnc.  From what I have read, Nick is no longer developing that utility.  I have not used it myself.  I plan on expanding my tutorial on this forum to include Windows Media Encoder 9 for those that want a "free" tool to use.

QUOTE(IId3fi13rII @ Feb 24 2008, 09:11 PM) *

Yeah encoding is a royal pain.
But coreavc is probably the best utility for converting that mkv of yours.

u could also try GOTSent which makes those mkv containers into mp4's that the 360 can read..

I hear its a great program..

but we really need XBMC on the 360!!

Then you will have an Xbox that will never be able to go on Xbox Live, as it will be banned.

Converting to MP4 format is a great way to quickly watch HD content.  However, you *will* loose 5.1 audio.  Microsoft only supports Low Complexity AAC audio in the MP4 container format.  IF you want to retain 5.1 audio, which most do, then you need to use other methods.

BTW, CoreAVC is not a utility.  It is a codec that will decode AVC/H.264/x264 video for playback or when another video editing tool uses the DirectShowFilter API.

TheJulianaTh20

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »

Man .mkv files are ridiculous. I am able to watch 1080p WMV files with 5.1 perfectly streamed through my 360 but not these stupid mkv files. I could see the mkv file for a minute or two then it would keep buffering like it is too much info to send to the 360 at once. That is probably why they make those stupid mkv splitters, but with 1080p for some reason it doesn't work. It just made two files that look like completely compressed CRAP. It took a 1080p 9GB file split it into two ~4.3GB files that looked more like 400MB files on my 1080p screen. Why is it a WMV 1080p movie that is 8-10GB can play just great with 5.1 but a MKV cannot?!?!?! But for some reason everyone uses this stupid format to encode their movies. WHY??????!!!!!!!!!!!!

ImmortalZ

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »

Because it's the best container out there right now?

HD movies are always bigger than 2GB. To wrap that in a AVI is asking for trouble with OpenDML.

MKV provides a solid container for subtitles, multiple audio and video streams - the works.

Also, do look up the difference between a codec and a container.

P.S : Also because Microsoft don't want to help you pirate movies (like they care about legitimate backup users...).

This post has been edited by ImmortalZ: Apr 20 2008, 04:41 PM
Pages: [1] 2