xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: .mkv And .avi  (Read 98 times)

garyhopkin

• Archived User
.mkv And .avi
« on: June 30, 2007, 05:41:00 AM »

Hi all

im a little stuck here..after much reading up i still cant seem to find a solution,and still may be barking up the wrong tree,so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Its my understanding that the spring update to 360 will enable you to watch .mkv through media center,so i updated and set up vista media center wth the 360.

I dl a .mkv sample and it wouldent play saying i needed a codec or it was corrupted,it was also the same with .avi files i tried.

can someone pls tell me if i can play these files through media center to the 360,and if so how?

thx for any help.

This post has been edited by garyhopkin: Jun 30 2007, 12:42 PM

nickolasj80

• Archived User
.mkv And .avi
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »

Unfortunately, you have been misinformed.
The spring update allows for Mpeg-4, while they are the same type of encoding, they quite different packaging.

The only way to play mkv is to use either transcode 360 (needs Vista or MCE), or Tversity.  I have used Transcode360, but have never gotten mkv to work (video will stream, but will be discolored, out of sync, etc).

You could always re-encode using a program like Videora 360 or I use WME assistant (works great).

If you use WME Assistant, make sure you download Haali File splitter and Ac3filter, google for both.  Once you have installed both of those, WME Assist should have no problem converting your mkv to wmv (keeps high def and 5.1, if you want).

And don't worry, those mkvs will be playing VERY SOON...some very smart people are bringing the 360 real close to being fully hacked...XB360MC will play anything you want!  the xbmc team are already recruiting developers for the project...exciting!

garyhopkin

• Archived User
.mkv And .avi
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(nickolasj80 @ Jun 30 2007, 07:51 PM) View Post

Unfortunately, you have been misinformed.
The spring update allows for Mpeg-4, while they are the same type of encoding, they quite different packaging.

The only way to play mkv is to use either transcode 360 (needs Vista or MCE), or Tversity.  I have used Transcode360, but have never gotten mkv to work (video will stream, but will be discolored, out of sync, etc).

You could always re-encode using a program like Videora 360 or I use WME assistant (works great).

If you use WME Assistant, make sure you download Haali File splitter and Ac3filter, google for both.  Once you have installed both of those, WME Assist should have no problem converting your mkv to wmv (keeps high def and 5.1, if you want).

And don't worry, those mkvs will be playing VERY SOON...some very smart people are bringing the 360 real close to being fully hacked...XB360MC will play anything you want!  the xbmc team are already recruiting developers for the project...exciting!

nice,thanks for the info

360media center would be real good.i ended up using transcode360 for xvids and the sample .mkv i tried seem to work ok,but i wont fiddle any further if this new dashboard turns up.

MaxP

• Archived User
.mkv And .avi
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 05:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(nickolasj80 @ Jun 30 2007, 07:51 PM) View Post

Bold statements to be making....
got any gossip to fan the flames ?